Friday, March 13, 2015

Home Depot Roadie Trip

 

Assembly work prepping for spring has slowed down a bit.  With nuthin' to do, the bossman suggested that I go help out in Oxford.  Then he suggested a stop in Tupelo.  Winner, winner, chicken dinner!  Decided to head to Tupelo first, and requested 2 nights at the Hampton, in Oxford.

Bossman gave me the details:  20 cents per mile round trip, $15 a day per diem, and Company prepaid hotel room, at a place of their choosing.  Can you say "Super 8 Motel", OMG, thoughts of critter bugs, nasty room run thru my head.  And, could not wait to spend that $15 per diem! Lol!

Three hours later, I'm at my first stop.  My contact already had work ready for me.  27 riding lawn mowers.  Holy mother of grass cutting!  We get $15 to take these things off the crate, unwrap them, hook up the battery, and attach the seat and steering wheel.  Worst part is getting them off the pallets, since there is very little gas in them.  I get 6 done, then the HD guy starts lifting them off the pallets with his fork lift!  I'm loving this guy!  First time ever!  Time and back saver!  Since I got a late start, it took the rest of the day to finish the riders and then 5 other items needing assembly.  Bossman called to check on my progress, then shut me down so the regular guy would have some work the next day.  Dang it!

Got all my paperwork done, then headed off to the City of Oxford and that fabulous Super 8 hotel room!  Arrived at my destination, and time for check-in.  Clerk right off the bat apologized for being new.  Oh boy, there's your sign....  I asked her to put my Wyndham Reward number on the room, for da points.  She said, oh crap, this room was booked thu Expedia.com, and they haven't taught me how to do that yet.  Oh boy....  She prints out a my room assignment, and I then discover that its a smoking room.  After finding a "non-smoking" room in the system, she had to call her supervisor because of that dang Expedia reservation!  After 40 minutes, finally a room!

I find my quarters, inserted the key, opened the door, and bam! the smoke knocks me back on the balcony!  Went in, used the can, then back to the lobby for a key swap.  Second room, same thing, at least I grabbed the shampoo for my troubles.  Third room was the charm, but no shampoo!  Glad I clipped it from room number 2!  The channel buttons on the tv remote didn't work, had to punch in each channel number from the channel guide.  After my shower, I discover that I had to dry off using the "towelettes" that they had hanging.  I felt like a strip tease act, with my wide ass and those little towels!

Next day, I did my thang at the Oxford Home Depot.   I assembled all but 10 grills, leaving them for the regular guy,  Finishing around 4, then went to get the paperwork done.  Turns out the only feller that could key my crap into the system left for the day just as I got to the receiving department!  Glad I had another night's stay at the Super 8!

The Super 8 parking lot was full, mostly with a variety of service trucks.  Everybody that pulled up tool their tool bags into their rooms for safekeeping.  One feller on the first floor had propped his door open with his work boots.  He was stationed in one of the chairs, just outside the door.  There were three empty Old Milwaukee Light cans on the ground, and one in his hand.  As I walked up the stairs he let out the biggest burp!  Guessing that was his breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Got my paperwork done the next morning.  I'm done.  Ok, since I'm here, I gotta try out something new.  Big Bad Breakfast one out.  Its on North Lamar in a strip center on the left.  Its amazing that there are establishments that make a living just on breakfast!

The special of the day was a smoked snapper cake topped with eggs benedict.  OMG was it good!





 
 
 
The cooks in the back were all black.  You know that they were adding some soul to all at food on the flat top!


You know that the food has to be good when the syrup dispenser is stuck to the counter!
Bill Weems's photo.

The feller next to me, ordered the "big bad breakfast" that comes served in a small cast iron skillet.  I think it had everything, including the kitchen sink in it!  He only ate a third, the rest went "to go"!  That bad boy is definitely on my must try list!

I'm making my way home on Hwy 6 and I notice that a brand new Dolla Gentral is going in on the left.  This will be a tailgating delight for those that fergot some of their supplies!  The rest of the ride was uneventful.

I walk into the house, and I'm attacked by the love of two dachshunds.  I  sat down for a quick nap, covered in weiner dog. woke up, felt the top of my head for my for my glasses. Nope. Searched the couch, oh Shit! I looked at Otis (he has done this before), and very "nicely" asked him where was my !@@##$$ glasses! He took off behind the couch! Guilty as charged! Runaway weiner! Oscar just looked up at me with that look "wasn't me, remember, I was in your lap the whole time"! Searched the bathroom, bedroom, living room and all parts in between. Otis still behind the couch, yep, GUILTY! Call to the spousal unit for suggested hiding places. Re-traced steps. Called the optical buddy and placed an order for replacements. Stripped the bed, no luck. got down on the floor to look under the bed. Suddenly something slips off my nose. GLASSES!!!!! 30 minutes Otis comes out from under cover.   Cancelled the replacements.  back to loving on My Bestie Boys!

Ready for the next roadie trip!

No comments: