Friday, December 25, 2015

The Christmas Spirit

Once your kids have reached adulthood, the Christmas season takes on a new meaning.  The boys still have that look in their eye come gift opening time, but these days their time is divided between their devotion to us parents, and the girly side of things.

The spousal unit used to take joy in decorating for the season.  Hours were spent decorating the tree and setting out the 100+ Santas and Angels about the house.  When the boys jumped ship, she brought in our adopted daughter for the day.  Now, is just an effort to say it's done.

The attic is full of Christmas yard art, illuminated reindeer, and strings of lights.  With the boys all grown and not here much, all that stuff has just stayed put.

Working at Home Depot this time of year, you get an earful of "old time Christmas songs", so much so that you resort to wearing earplugs.

When you think about all this and begin reflecting on all this, you think, "has the holiday flame flickered out?"

But, that's when you walk into to Kroger and pass the volunteer for the Salvation Army, just singing away, wishing everyone a happy holiday season as they rush by.

The other day at Home Depot, the day was coming.to an end.  My buddy Sam, walked up with a customer in tow, asking "you got time to assemble another one?"  The lady had that look in her eye.  This high end grill was going to be a special gift for someone.  Her husband had just been released from the hospital this week and was wanting to grill, but their old one had bit the dust a few months back.  I said "sure, Merry Christmas".  The box was delivered to me, and the "will call" sticker had a note "if completed before 9, call for customer pickup".  I finished it and took it to customer service so they could call the lady for pickup.  Hope her husband enjoyed firing it up!

With no young ones in our immediate future, we do have a pretty good substitute.   On the spousal unit's side there are the Grandbaby niece and nephew that are just now figuring this Christmas thing out.  One of the nieces has her first bundle of joy.  That holiday flame has relit itself through them!  I could not resist getting a baby daddy project, a mimi me toy grill that had to be at least a three hour assembly project!

Last night, we made the road trip to Inverness to see my parents, sister, and others.  My mom has gotten a bit "chatty" in her 80+ years.  We got to here the stories of her giving chase to my Dad, how they got married, and survived on less than $200 per month.  Nobody can tell stories like these but Granny!  My Dad will be "retiring" from his current job in the next few days.  I didn't realize that the word "retirement" was in his vocabulary!

Some traditions will always be.  Cooking is what I enjoy the most.  I have a few "lady friends" that like my Christmas sugar cookies that are always calling.  This year I made 40 boxes of cheese straws for customers.  Made my first fixing of "trash" for son #1.  Last night was my first attempt  at prime rib and it did not disappoint.

Tonight we will all share in the preparation of the evening holiday meal.  Everyone has their assigned task, and are looking forward to "our time" together.

Yep, that holiday flame that I thought had died out was just down to a slow flicker.  Soon, girly friends will become "for real" family members and the circle will be complete.  Their lives will just be getting started and me and the spousal unit will get to relive it through their eyes.

The holiday spirit is alive and well.  Merry Christmas from our house to yours!

No comments: