Saturday, February 6, 2016

The Misadventures of Bill and Nick

Well what do you know, working at Home Depot I have found myself a brother of another mother of a different color, my buddy Nick.  It didn't take us very long to hit it off with conversation, and it has been nonstop ever since.

It took me a while to understand his lingo, since he is a transplant from Indiana.  He kept referring to "up in the PJ's", and I asked "what's PJ's?"  He fired back, "you know!  The Projects!  Housing man!"  Up north all us poor black folk live in PJ's like poor white people down here live in the TP's!"  I went, huh?  He said, "dude, like trailer parks!"

I had to pick him up for a road trip to Vicksburg one week.  Nick said he "stays" with his mom and step dad in south Jackson.  After picking him up, I made a quick stop at one of the Arab gas stations.  Four of these places had prices that were 20 cents apart so I picked the cheapest.  Ran my card, but the keypad didn't work to verify the zip code.  Nick says "man! Don't you know that down in my hood everybody goes inside and pays $20 cash for their gas!"  I said, yeah, and another $20 for ice down beer!"

Nick had his coffee cup with him that goes where ever he goes.  I asked him if he wanted to get a refill inside the station?  He fired off "black folk don't pay for coffee!  We get free refills in places like the HD employee breakroom!"

While at work, Nick sat down the wrong way and cracked his phone.  "Damn!  I hate it when this happens!   These damn Obama phones!"  Next day he had another one.  We compared rate plans, his is very similar to mine, except he is paying $30 a month vs my $100!

While on the job, I found a deal on a battery powered sawsall.  Nick says" white people pay full price for tools at HD and Lowes.  We get the same thing but cheaper at the pawn shop!  Nick was with me when I was paying for the saw.  He commented "wow!  You're the first white dude I've met that didn't pay for the extended warranty!

One day we took a lunch break and we ended up at McAllister's,  he had never been.  He looks at the menu board and says "what am I supposed to order?"  I suggested the club sandwich.  When seeing the prices, Nick commented "you know at Burger King you can get 4 for $5!"  His introduction to their sweet tea was hilarious!   He noticed that I paid for our food with my credit card.  He stated the only card he had was his EBT, you know grocery money!"

Our first day working together, I kept hearing strange voices coming out of him.  I finally figured out that he had his Bluetooth headset on, and he was singing along to his tunes.  It was a whole lotta Rap that I commented sounded like crap.  Nick fired back "what!?  Do you expect me to work to Earth Wind and Fire?"

Each day with Nick is a whole new adventure.  I can't wait to see what our next one brings!

No comments: