Thursday, March 8, 2018

Goodbye My Friend

I said goodbye to my best friend yesterday.   We have been together for over six years.  We have been through a lot together, traveling together from one adventure to another.  You have been there for me from the day we first met.  You were there on the day My life changed forever.  My best friend was a 2012 Kia Sorento!  A car?  Yep!

I was in a job for 20 years, doing what I knew best, number crunching.   Along the way, I became the care taker of the employees of that company.  Then, the new guy arrived.   It didn't take long for things to change.  First it was the little things.  Then they became bigger. Finally, I had enough.  It was time for a change.   But how do you do this at age 54??  I figured,  make it through the busy season, and then find out.

I got my last annual review.   This time, my rank of officer was lowered.  If I did not get back to the prior level in three years, I would lose several benefits, including the keys to the company car.  This was pretty much the last nail in the coffin.  But then, it hit me.  I could decide when the keys got turned in!

The next week i went on the hunt, for a new car.  I didn't need anything fancy, just a ride.  My last three purchases were Dodges from Doug Wilson.  I liked his location, right on Lakeland Drive.  He no longer handled Dodge, but he had just added KIA.

Through the magic of internet searches, I decided on a Kia Sorento.  I liked that it was an SUV, and had some of the early techy stuff that caught my interest.

I bought the Sorento, and the next day, I sent an email to the fleet department indicating that I was surrendering the keys to my company car.  Damn, that felt good!

Several weeks past, then one day, on a Friday afternoon, the bossman called me into his office.  I was informed that my position with the company was being eliminated!  At first, I was like, WTH???  But then it hit me!  Here was my way out!!!  As I was walking out the door that last time, I realized that it was the car that finally was the last straw!!!  Thank you Kia Sorento!

On that day, me and my Kia began a new adventure!   First there was the unemployment check.   I collected it for two years, the only requirement was job searches for three positions per week.  The internet and career builders made that easy.  I applied for over 250 jobs during that time, resulting in only two interviews.  Hum.  Let's see.  I was over 55, over qualified, and overpaid.  The employers could hire someone younger,  trained at newer technology, and pay them less.  Rutrow....

During this time, I was the chauffeur for the Spousal unit.  At least the bus driver got to eat free!  I finally found a contract job, putting standees together at the movie theaters.

 Standees are the cardboard promo signs that advertise upcoming movies.  This was actually a lot of fun.  Me and my Kia were in the know about all the new upcoming feature films!

Then there were the beach trips, lots of them!  And i had the margarita machine! I was having the best times! I wass having the time of my life!  No more work stress, no more 8 to 5!  Eventually though,  I needed to find something else to occupy my time.  Thank you again. To the internet search engines!

I would be able to start drawing out of my retirement soon, and I needed some supplemental income. I found work doing product assembly.  Work alone, unsupervised, at my own pace.  Sounded like just the job for me and Sorento!

That car and I covered the entire State of Mississippi, building product for HD and several variety stores.  We have been to Oxford, Tupelo, Laurel, Hattiesburg, and to the coast!

But, as we travelled these roads, my friend, Kia Sorento, began putting on the miles.  It was now time to give the ole girl a rest.  What better send off than to update her with a newer model!

So, I have said goodbye to my best friend!  Thank you for being there when my life got transformed.  I had forgotten how to smile, and you helped bring it back with a vengeance!   You will be missed, but a new chapter begins!

Hopefully those of you that are struggling with a job decision will find your KIA!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

...good to see you haven't lost your writing touch. Keep on keepin' on! That was a good one!