Saturday, August 3, 2013

Couch From Hell

This spring, we purchased a condo in Starkville for Morgan to live in till he graduates from MSU.  This made perfect economic sense, and should eventually be a good return on our investment.

Morgan spent the first year in the dorm, and this past year in a fully furnished  four bedroom apartment right next to campus.  Moving into the condo was going to require some additional furnishings.  I figured the first thing he would need was a bed and mattress.

The local furniture super store located in Pearl, was having their tent sale, and this was the last day.  I figured, what the heck, I'll go look, maybe I'll find a deal.  I walk into the tent, and I find a variety of items, furnishings for bedroom ,  the living room, and dining. Remember, I went in looking for a bed frame and mattress.

I find a wooden bed, dresser and night stand that have been marked way down.  Hummm.  I then discover that the mattress on the bed is a discontinued brand and this was the last mattress of this line, and the price on it was marked way down.  Again I get to thinking, Hummm.  Took a few pictures, did some texting with the spousal unit, and decided to get it all, since the price was too good to walk away.  Remember, I went in looking for a bed frame and mattress.

While the sales clerk (who just happened to be from my home town) was working on the paperwork, I walked over to this leather couch:
 
The original price was $999, now marked down to $400.  What a deal!  Bought it too!  (Remember, I went in looking for a bed frame and mattress.)  The sales clerk mentioned that these items were final sale and could not be returned.  No Biggie.  She did suggest that I purchase the extended warranty since they would be used in college housing.  Good Idea, sold!
 
I picked up the items the next day, and to my surprise, they had boxed and wrapped every item for the ride home.  Since we had not yet taken possession  of the condo yet, I stored the furniture in our garage, still in the boxes and wrapping.
 
Move in day arrived and off to Starkville we went.  We had the Spousal units car loaded down in addition to the truck being filled to capacity.  It would have looked like the Clampett's coming to town except for not having a rocking chair and Granny on top!
 
We get everything upstairs into the unit, then we take the wrapping off the couch.  I plop my big ole butt onto one end, nice!  Then the fun begins.
 
The spousal unit sits at the other end and notices a half inch cut in the leather on the arm rest in one of the creases by the decorative tacking.  Well shoot!  Brand new, final sale, and comes with a hole.  A quick call to the sales clerk gets me connected to the customer service representative of the local furniture super store located in Pearl.  I'm reminded that the tent sale items, are final sale, as is.  But wait! I bought the warranty!
 
I sent a picture of the damage to the "customer service representative of the local furniture super store located in Pearl" to confirm the damage.  The "customer service representative of the local furniture super store located in Pearl" agrees to check with the manufacturer to see if they can make the replacement part in the matching leather.  (This is the first of May.)  A day or two later I get a call, yes it can and will be done!  Thank you warranty!
 
June 14th, I get an email from the  "customer service representative of the local furniture super store located in Pearl" indicating that the replacement part has arrived and he wants to schedule June 25th for the repair.  Ok, no biggie.  Patience is there, but getting thin.
 
 
On June 25th, the repair guy arrives to do the repair, and I get this email from the "customer service representative of the local furniture super store located in Pearl":
 
Mr. Weems, my technician is in Starkville now but just noticed the new arm Lane sent is not stitched properly. It’s missing  the top stitch like the arm on your sofa. I do apologize but we will have to reorder the arm on a rush from Lane. I will update you as soon as I can get the new part.
 
Lovely.  And, the technician did not restore the couch arm back to its original appearance.  But Thank you warranty!  July 19th, I get this email  from the "customer service representative of the local furniture super store located in Pearl" :
 
 
Mr. Weems, sorry for the delay in this matter. I’m checking on other options for you. I will update you asap.
Later that day:
Mr. Weems, could you please have someone take a picture of the factory ID tag that will be stapled to the bottom of this unit. It will have this number.. 020433689 on the tag and email back to me.
 
On July 31st I get a phone call from the "customer service representative of the local furniture super store located in Pearl"
 
"Mr. Weems, I have a problem with the replacement part.  The original couch arm has double stitching on the seam and was made in another country.  Our machine in our shop can only do a single stitch.  I can offer you a full refund, and a discount on a new couch that the manufacturer is willing to offer."
 
Lets see.  I only paid $400 for the couch.  A full refund and a manufacturer discount will not make me whole, since I will end up owing THEM money.  My response to the "customer service representative of the local furniture super store located in Pearl" :  "Here's my idea.  Why don't you replace both arm ends of the couch.  That way they both match!"  The response from the "customer service representative of the local furniture super store located in Pearl" : "That's a good idea".  I'll get back with you on that.
 
I followed the telephone conversation up with the following email to the "customer service representative of the local furniture super store located in Pearl"
 
 
Thank you for the update phone call yesterday on the options for repairing the couch. I am agreeable with the solution of replacing both arms so that they will match.
I would like to get a copy of the description of the repair/replacement coverage I paid for, in case I have issues with the other furniture items that were purchased on the same day.
Respectfully yours,
Bill Weems
 
Today is August 3rd, three months from the initial contact with the "customer service representative of the local furniture super store located in Pearl". The saga of the torn couch continues  And, thank you warranty!
 
 

No comments: