Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Panama City, day four


The first three days were overcast, with some rain, and the view of the beach early in the morning was nothing to talk about.  I got up this morning, pulled back the curtains to find this waiting for me:
Photo: Looking like a start to a beautiful day.
The sun had finally broken up all those clouds and was finally stretching its rays westward to create the beginnings of a beautiful day.

I packed up all the gear, loaded up the cooler, and off to the beach I go.  The elevator ride was a short one.  Two floors down, the door opens up to these two cutie pies, Come On In!  Contrary to the gal from yesterday, these two were covered up, thank you very much! All they were carrying were towels. I asked, where's the alcohol? They said "don't worry, we have money. If we run out, we'll just spend our boyfriend's money. They even stopped to read the beach rules sign. My kinda girls!

I pick my spot, and I take a second to take in the view from ground zero:
Photo: Beautiful day!
Now this my friends, is what its all about!  Blue water, sugar white sands, and not a cloud in the sky!

As ya'll know, I've been spending quite a few vacations at the beach.  After the last few trips I have determined that tattoos are here to stay.  They are officially part of the beach landscape.  In fact, I've just about to decided that tattooing your spousal unit is a great idea!   Easier to spot on a crowded beach. Plus you can have her "bar coded" labeling her married, and include enough information to cover all the room and bar charges so you won't have to carry a lot of cash or credit cards, which can get stolen. If the wife comes up missing, just turn on that microchip that was included in the latest implant to find her!

I'm now all settled in my spot.  Umbrellas are up, chairs are set, cooler is strategically set, book is ready, and smartass phone is fully charged.  My first sighting of the day are these three ladies.  They obviously were experienced "beachers", and they already had developed a good tan.  Plus they brought their own air pump!


It didn't take them long before they had all of their floats fully inflated.  I commented to them that I knew who I was gonna call if I needed CPR! 

I was prepping one of my "Ziparitas" for the cup, and they noticed what I had in my hand:

One of the ladies asked "Is that what I think it is?"  I replied, yes ma'm!  Brought my own margarita machine with me.  Freeze them up ahead of time, and use them as ice packs for everything else in the cooler bag.  I just made three new friends!

By now, the beach population had picked up, and the bird watching opportunities were everywhere.  Here are a few samples of the local wildlife that were spotted on this fine day:


This particular specimen comes from the egret family.  Her plumage included a feather pattern that formed a scissor pattern in the middle of her back.  I commented that she must be a hairdresser when she wasn't at the beach.  She replied "well yes I am".  I'm so glad my dark sunglasses were eliminating the glare!


The next sighting was a white chested male Florida pelican.  This particular species  stores food in lower pouch.
Photo: Bird watching:  white chested male Florida pelican.   Stores food in lower pouch.
One of my friends commented that it kinda looked like me!  Sorry Olivia Capone, I don't have that much body hair.  Too much Cherokee Indian blood in me!

The next sighting was a "spread eagle resting tern".  Or at least that what I thought I was seeing!

Photo: Bird watching:  spread eagle nesting tern.
One friend commented that species is the crested jailus baitus. Approach with caution. Dark shades recommended.  You be the judge!

The next one was a variety I have never seen at the beach before
Photo: Bird watching:  not sure what to make of this one.  Nesting crane maybe?

Nesting crane maybe?

Here is an older variety:  a yellow crested nest sitter

Photo: Bird watching:  yellow crested nest sitter
Sorry for the blurry picture.  This particular bird has to be approached with extreme caution.

Later in the day, Oh lord. A new nesting site sprung up right next to us, three families, with 8 kids. "Did anybody bring sunscreen, nope". "Honey, did you pack any water, nope". "I think she just dropped the mother load"! "Mom, I'm hungry. You just ate before we came out here"! Now, wear did I put those ear plugs......  They brought a couple of skim boards, and the elders of this clan took on the responsibility of showing the younger generation how it is done.  You guessed it, splash!   Head first into the surf!  it was quite the show.  One of their offspring started a little enterprise.  He went diving into 15 feet of water and came up with live sand dollars.  He was trying to sell them for a dollar each.  I reminded him that you are only supposed to take what washes up on shore, but he wasn't buying in on Florida customs.

The day ended with this beautiful sunset
Photo: Are you jealous yet?
along with a run to the cinnabon store!

Life is good.  Can't wait to see what day five has to offer!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

lived in fl 5 years fwb and destin you never go to okaloosa island now there are some sights that will break your phones