Sunday, October 6, 2013

Surprise!

Tailgating in Starkvegas yesterday was full of surprises.

We packed our rain gear, expecting the worst, and to our delight, we were welcomed by a clear, cool, fall day.  That turned into one hot, muggy afternoon that never relented!  All the water and most everything else that was liquid was consumed, leaving nothing but melted ice water.

With the heat, few of the tailgators were interested in eating hot food.  The leftover brisket and jambalaya went to the guys that stayed to help with the take down and loading up.

The funniest sight of the day was watching everyone set up their satellite dishes.  Some were pros, and were done in minutes.  Others didn't have a clue and came running for help from those that were already tuned into King RTR chopping up its latest victim.

I had the pleasure of meeting Darrell Moore (if memory serves me right).  Darrell is in his second stint of coaching footfall in Atlanta Georgia.  Darrell was large and in charge, setting up a set of six tents, in orderly fashion.  Shading screens were installed, and even all the steaks were driven firmly into the ground.  Darrell was not about to let Mother nature interfere with his campsite like she did at the last home game.  Darrell is famous for one play during his time playing for Emory Bullard.  Darrell was the field goal snapper for Artie Cosbie (sp) for that field goal attempt during which God intervened and blew that kick back just as the ball was splitting the uprights!

We had quite a few visitors, which are always welcome.  The kids, as expected were more interested in playing "can jam" and with the large crowd in the Junction, they set up their station in one of the few remaining open areas.

Before you knew it, game time.  We had a flyover of four antique airplanes leaving a trail of colorful smoke.  Their timing was a little off, but it added to the excitement and anticipation of the opening kickoff.  State held its own through the third quarter, but as with most LSU games, the wheels fell off.  Future looks bright for next year, from what I saw from the young talent playing their hearts out.

I had been drinking beer at the tailgate, and my bladder usually tells me when its time to enter the stadium, for some gravity relief.  For a minute there, I thought I was in the women's restroom line because the line was backed up into the concession line.  I hoped one didn't feed the other! Got to my seat, with super sized drink in hand.  The whole time I'm watching the game, I'm thinking something is not right.  I head back down stairs and for the second time, more backed up lines.  Made it to my assigned station, and relief!  Or so I thought.  Out came red, and my immediate thought was kidney stone.  Movement kicked in big time, and its like, been here, done this several times before.  Fortunately, the stone was already in my bladder.  Spousal unit had some lortab and that helped till the stone movement stopped.

This was confirmation that the unexpected can strike you at any time, even in the middle of a big SEC football game.  Time to get your life straight people.  Get that annual physical.  And yes, as you reach the magic age of 50,  schedule to have your plumbing checked.

Life is good, all the time, but occasionally you get surprises along the way.  I got mine.  Hope you are ready for yours!

No comments: