Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Bob, "The Grin"


I've got a FB friend that some of you know.  Went to the same high school growing up.  He was in my sister's class, four years behind.  He even took her to their high school prom.  This guy is as "Crusty" as they come.  He says what ever comes to mind, no holds barred.  He is an avid MSU Bulldog fan, till the day he dies.  He is one of the hardest working people that I know.  I don't think that that are many people that put in as many hours in a week as this guy.  I have often wondered what made this guy tick, and have found a few clues in some of his postings on Facebook.  You have to look hard, and read between the lines, but if you dig deep enough, you will find quite a man in Bob, "the Grin", Buchanan.

I have wondered why he spends so much time working.  He is the Frito-Lay guy of the Delta, has a pet spa called "Paradise Pet Spa" and works several other jobs when he is not asleep or supporting his Bulldogs.  Bob doesn't post much about his personal life, but every now an then he will slip and post something like this:
 
I want to give a big shout out to my wife Julie Navarro Buchanan. She is the person that makes it all happen for me to be able to go to these out of town games. Julie is a bigger fan than I am. You all know how I feel about the Dawgs. Well multiply that times 2 and that is Julie.
But Julie can't attend out of town games. It takes luck just for her to attend a game in Starkville. Julie job will no
...t allow her to take off. She worked at Wal Mart for 25 years. 3 years ago she came to me and told me she wanted to retire and take care of her mom. For the past 3 years Julie works 7 days a week,365 days a year,12 hours a day. No day off,no breaks and no vacations putting pictures up on FB with her feet in the sand. Her day starts at 6 in morning when she goes feed her mom. She then comes home and tries to get few hours sleep. She then goes back to her moms at noon and takes care of her until 10 or 11 at night. She does this with zero complaints. None. She just does it. She gets no pay for this. Her pay is the satisfaction she gets knowing that she is making her mom comfortable as she can as her mom struggles with severe Parkinson's disease. Put this in reality. Julie has worked over 1,200 days straight with no day off. Julie can't even spend Xmas day with us. She loves her niece and nephews so much but she never gets to see them.
Julie only got to go to one ball game last year. She got lucky and was able to take a few hours off. When I go to these out of own games she doesn't mine. She doesn't fuss. She doesn't complain. She just let me do what I do and thats why I love her. She us Superwoman
. If you are on Julie page go give her a shout out to and show her some love.
#igotbestwifeinworld


Now I have some insight on why he works so hard. 

As I mentioned earlier, Bob is a bit "crusty".  He can be hard to take, but with him, you get it all, a little bit of sugar, but mostly salt. He can occasionally be found at a couple of his favorite watering holes in the Indianola area, sipping on his favorite adult beverage.  I'm sure that those folks in attendance get quite an ear full from one of the masters of "back atcha".  If you listen carefully you can pick up on some words of wisdom that come from his lips.  Here is a posting from Facebook from yesterday that led me to post this blog entry: 
 
As most of you know I have deactivated my FB account and I will deactivate again in the morning. But I felt the need to activate it tonight to share my feelings tonight about someone for my friends. It's something I enjoy doing. You all know who I want to talk about. Milton Steed. When Scott Shepherd told me this morning that Milton had passed away it really took a great day and turned it into a ...very you know what kind of day. I was floored. For the past 2 years Milton and I have talked some on here or the phone. We always said let's go out one night and have a couple of beers and catch up. We never did have those couple of beers and I thought about that all day. To change subject a sec I have made it clear to my 78 classmates that I have no desire ever for a reunion. I change my mind. I want one because you never know if those couple of beers will come up. Ole Milton was a talker. When he called you up it wasn't going to be a short conversation. One day last year I was running way behind on my route and Milton called. So I just let it ring and said I call him back when I catch up. Then 5 minutes later he called again,then 5 minutes later again. This time he left a voicemail and said "hey Little Buck call me back man,I know you busy but it only take a second". So I called him back. He was right. It only took an hour and a second but it was cool. Always enjoyed talking to him.
Life wasn't always easy for Milton(whose is)but he always came out on top. I don't know Milton wife Paula that well. I saw Milton at the store and he started talking about her and his eyes would just light up talking about her. It was quite clear to me he found his soul mate.
Milton was the 2nd best bass player I ever heard. The best bass player I ever heard was Kevin Mills-who was Milton mentor. And Milton will tell you the same thing. With Milton passing you immediately think of these people. Kevin Mills,Bobby and Billy Marquis and
Duff Dorrough. I have friends on my FB page who are musicians and y'all are good-real good. But when those 5 men I just mention played together they were by far the most talent musicians to ever come out of the Delta-bar none. They each had their own personality,style and flair. When they played together they had the "IT" factor. I haven't seen the IT factor in a long time.
I also thought of Fletcher Edwards today where these guys use to rock his bar out with their southern rock and blues. If Marquis band was playing there and the show started at 9 you better get there by 7 for a seat. I thought of Arch Pearson who was a big part of this group. I thought of ole grouchy Fruits Majori today who was always around watching his buddies perform. All 8 men I have mention here were the nicest,kindest and just good hearted down to earth people I had the pleasure to know. For those of you who didn't get to see these people perform you missed out. For you Harper Valley Indianola people who didn't take the time to know these people you really missed out. You missed out big time.
RIP Milton
#heavenrockingtonight

These words from Bob need to be put into a song.  He had such devotion to these "music men of the Delta", none of which I had the pleasure of hearing in person.  Please, take heed in the message he is conveying.  Take the time, to stop, listen, and learn.

 
 
 
 

No comments: