Sunday, September 29, 2013

Toasted and Roasted but Still Creaking and Squeaking

As I get older, there are things that have begun to happen to me and my body, that only old people talked about or experienced.  Well, looks like I'm fast approaching that "next phase" of this wonderful thing called life.
The first sign was roller coasters.  Loved doing the mild ones with the spousal unit and the boys.  The look on Matthew's eyes when he road his first after finally reaching the minimum height limit.  Or when Morgan lost his favorite cap at Six Flags, Then opening up the package at home to find that the Park had mailed it back to him.  My stomach now twists and turns, my face turns green, and my whole body turns clammy for several hours.  Bring on the grand babies and the kiddie rides!
As most people know, I love to cook, and I love pepper.  The first sign was when I'd be eating wings at BWW, and the hair on the backside of my head would begin to sweat.  No problem, just turn down the heat a bit.  Now I feel like I'm blasting with dynamite.  Eat something hot now, then suffer "fire in the hole!" later! 
Used to be, when out on the town, I'd get the urge, go to the trough, and stand there and wait for things to get started.  Once the pressure got started, you felt a big aaahh.  Now, you stand there with other gents in similar situations, waiting for things to get started.  Someone will yell out "any progress down there?" and we all giggle, thinking not yet, but hopefully soon!  Had an old boss one time that was standing there, trying to find his soldier.  He suddenly figures out the problem and mumbles "damn, gott'em on backwards again.". I chuckled big time.  Happened to me a week later.
I guess I can adjust and adapt to a change in lifestyle:
  The other day I rode the electric shopping cart back to Lowes to save the card guy the trouble.  Kinda slow, but the stomach held up.
I figure I can add a little paprika to food for color, and I'm already using milder rubs that are low on cayenne pepper.
As I wake up each day, I reach for my daily dose of alieve for all the aches and pains in the joints.  The spousal unit now has a temporary handicapped parking permit, and that has been a life saver for her.  We look like two weebles wobbling walking down the road, but we don't fall down!
I have had bifocal eyewear for some time.  Now I find that I am taking them off to look and read at things up close.  Thankfully this has not effected my "bird watching".
I have reached milestone #57 this weekend.  Looking forward to many more.  Too many blogs to write to slow down now.  Already got the first beach trip booked for 2014, and working on the next one.
Life is good, all the time.  Don't sit still and let it pass you by.

No comments: