Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Sam's in Madison

Okay, the location has been open for a week.  I figured, mid-day, on a Tuesday, would be a convenient time for a quick stop.  I was headed in that direction  anyway to go to Home Depot, Kroger, and to get my hair did, so why not!

The new location is just off the interstate, between Madison Avenue, and Hwy 462, near the Miskelly's Furniture store.  Mary Hawkins definitely had her hands in determining the final design.  I have seen the same store layout in other communities, but the store front is strictly Hawkinsville.

The parking lot was overflowing with cars.  The shopping cart drop offs had carts tossed in there every which way possible.  One of the handicap carts was trapped in the middle with no way out!  Entry is easy, just show the door guardian your id card and away you go!

I went in with a purpose and a mission, to get a couple of briskets and port tenderloins to cook for tailgating.  You couldn't get I in too big of a hurry because of all of the shopping carts.  I'm not even sure why someone that is handicapped would even venture into this place.  Those handicap carts don't hold much, and each of the items weighs at least 5-10 pounds each!  But the more I think about it, this might be a physical therapy session for some!

I looked up, and saw a crowd that had formed around a table set up, giving away free samples.  The vendor was dressed in a red chef's coat and a red chef's hat.  He was buttering slices of French bread with a variety of flavored butter offerings.  My knowledge of Sam's and the type of folks that they hire, told me that this guy was no chef!  But, he was a talker!  He musta had 25-30 standing around his table waiting for that sample of buttered French bread.  He reminded me of those amazing cooks on those television infomercials on late night TV!  The next table was giving away free samples of some type of orange juice.  They were dispensing the juice in medicine cups! 

I made my way over to the meat counter.  They had what I wanted, fully trimmed out beef briskets.  I compared them to those that are precooked, and confirmed that precooked, vacuumed sealed stuff was not for me. Grabbed two briskets and also found a double pack of port tenderloins.  Tailgating here we come!

Even in Madison, the crazies come out! Dude goes to self checkout, finishes, then bam! "Ma'am does this thang take cash?" "No sir, see right there on the register, credit or debit only"!

I then overhear this couple that were obviously friends of sorts, but were from out of town.  Man sees woman "Ain't you from Yazoo City?" "Yes sir!" the woman replies. Then she says " Aren't you married to so and so? "I hear'd you was gonna be a grandpappy!"  The man replies  "Yep, working on the last name on this one!"  Lordty, only in Sam's, and in MADISON!!!  These people were cracking me up!  I had to get outta there before I started laughing!

I made my way to checkout.  Like a lot of the newer stores, this one had a self checkout.  You swipe, your card, tell it to credit the card with your charges, then use the UPC gun to record your purchases.
I had three items, done in no time flat!

The guy next to me had a full card, and he was slowly getting the self checkout done.  When he had completed scanning all of his items, he looked a little puzzled, and began scratching his head.  He then asks the checkout clerk  "Ma'am does this thang take cash?"  The clerk replies  "No sir, see right there on the register, credit or debit only"!  Gotta love it.  Where in the hell does Sam's find these people?  Now remember, I'm in MADISON!!!!

Needless to say, I did not stick around to see how he ended up settling his account.  I worked my way to the entrance.  Everybody seemed to be old time Sam shoppers, with their receipt at the ready for the black magic marker lady to put her mark!  I was in and out in less than 20 minutes.  World record time for being in a brand spanking new Sam's!

It sure seems that it doesn't matter where you place a Walmart or Sam's.  The crazies will find them and they will come!  They have definitely found the new Sam's in MADISON!!!!

No comments: