Sunday, July 2, 2017

Acura road side assistance

You never know when car trouble will strike you, but it usually, almost always happens "after hours"!

Back last September, coming back from Orlando, one of the computer boxes went bad.  We were close to the Acura dealership in Mobile, and we got there before the service department closed.  They gave us a loaner, which we kept for a week, then I made a return trip to pick up the car.  The dealership was wonderful in helping us in our time of need.

Fast forward to yesterday, a Saturday, 8 p.m. and we are approaching Mobile, heading back to Florida for another vaca.  Plans were to spend the night, then head to our destination in the morning.

Spousal Unit is driving, and suddenly the dashboard lights up just like it did in September.  Computer module inside the transmission has gone haywire, again!  No panic,  this has happened once before, but not late at night.

Plan is to call the 24 hour hotline for roadside assistance, find out what to do about repairs and a replacement vehicle so we can continue our planned trip.  I find the number in the glove box and make the call.

I ring 1-800 Acura, which of course, puts me in the cue, and we wait.  Several minutes pass, then finally, a customer service representative.  Now the check list:  name, rank, car vin number, car model,  year of manufacture, etc...

I explain that we are in route, and do not need a tow.  What do we do with the car tonight, tomorrow etc... and what do we do about a loaner or rental?  Gal says "I don't know, I'm new at this job, and my notes...."  I tell her that here is what I'm going to do:  our hotel happens to be across the highway from the dealership, here in Mobile.  We are going drop the car off, fill out the after hours paperwork and drop the keys in the drop box.  Now, what about a rental?"

The gal says to me, "we don't handle that at this telephone number, only roadside assistance, but I can transfer you to that number."  I ask, "is it a 24 hour service line?"  She of course does not know the answer, and cannot determine if it is yes or no from her manual, but she transfers me anyway.

The phone number rings, and I get the recording "our offices are currently closed.  Our next business day will be Wednesday, July 5th." Click. You just cannot make this crap up!

Ok, I know what to do with the car.  There is a Hertz rental place next door.  I put my smartass phone to work.  All the Hertz locations in Mobile are closed on weekends, and the one at the airport does not have any vehicles available that would meet our needs.  Am I surprised???

Next search, Enterprise!  Found a vehicle, at the airport, but it's pick up only, with no option to come get you.  I book it, a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab, alright!  I can put my rack in the back and not have to leave it with the car for the dealer to find on Monday!

We arrive at the hotel, cut the car off, then recrank it.  Yes! We can still roll!  Off to the airport at noon for the pickup, then the next leg of this adventure begins!



No comments: