Monday, May 28, 2018

Preachers and Barbeque!

This being memorial day and all, there aren't a whole lot of restaurant choices.  We were in Oxford, so I knew the pickings were gonna be slim.  As I was making my way through the FB new feed, I saw where Pig & Pint was open all day.  Winner, winner, pork rib dinner!

We stopped by the house, to refresh ourselves, and I remembered that Pig & Pint was pet friendly.  Ole Otis is always ready for another car ride.  I was hoping for a cool evening and a close parking spot, since the restaurant has limited indoor seating, and the neighborhood ain't in one of the best locations.

I dropped off Otis and the spousal Unit so they could save us a spot at one of the outside picnic tables.  After parking, I made my way back to the restaurant.  It was not hard to find, I just followed my nose, sniffing the wood smoke back to the pit!  After placing the order, I joined Otis & Momma.

Seated across from us, was a young couple.  I could tell she weren't from around these parts, since she was eating brisket tacos, but her hubby had a mouth full of pulled pork sammach!  They were newlyweds since last July, both involved in the Lutheran Ministry.  He was a local, and she was from Minnesota, I knew it!  I don't know much about no Lutheran, but we all knew about dogs, and the cookies from Campbell's Bakery just around the corner.

After their departure our double picnic table filled up fast.  Turns our it was a whole bunch of Methodist preachers and such.  One was a district superintendent, and another was a Bishop.  We almost had enough board pieces for a game of chess!  They all were here for the "Pre-conference" before the Conference.  We figured out who all the players were, and the spousal unit mentioned that we were members of St. Marks, out at the Rez.  Did they know Keith Keeton?  Boy!  Did they ever!  I used to refer to Keith as my young buck preacher, but now he has enough grey hairs that I had to drop the young part!

We then started playing the guessing game.  I mentioned that I used to run the sound board, and we had one preacher that I referred to as the "15 minute man".  All his sermon's were no longer than 15 minutes.  I figured he had standing reservations at several restaurants.  I mentioned his first name, "Jim", and one of those preachers responded "that would be Jim Curtis!"  Yep! nailed him!  I then mentioned another preacher Jim, with white hair, that has been known to take several phone calls during his sermons.  Another one of those preachers yelled out "that's ole Matheny!"  Dang, these guys are good!

I was short on some of the others names, but told them that we could go to the church and review the wall of shame!  Nobody ever remembers the good parts about a preacher's stay, but you can always come up with some of the bad!

Before we left, I reminded them that since the West Jackson Superintendent was present, they all should be the banana fosters pudding and put it on his tab!
Table full of Preachers!


I posted this picture to Facebook and tagged my buddy Keith Keeton in it, and told them to add any comments they would like.  We'll see how far out of their preacher comfort zones they are willing to go!

No comments: