Sunday, June 10, 2018

Rituals of the First Day of Vaca

Every summer brings with it the rites of passage to the holy grail, the white sugary sands of the Florida Panhandle.  You would think, as many times as I have made this trip to Beach Mecca, it would be same old thing.  But no.....!

PACK IT UP
The spousal unit left for a conference down south several days early.  That left me with the responsibility (as always) of packing the car, securing the house, and saying good bye to Otis, our resident travel dog.  Otis knows when its travel time.  He sees the suitcase, and hops right on in.  He then starts his all loving dog routine, like you can't not take me, the sweet lovable travel dog!

I get up early, and load the remaining items into the car.  Otis is watching....All done, I'm like, whoops, where are the car keys???  I tear the house apart looking for them.  I've now retraced my steps at least 15 times.  Well crap, on to the car.  I can't just switch cars, the rack on the back is secured with a lock, and the key is with the others.  I checked all the usual suspect spots where I might have laid them.  No keys.  I pull everything out and give each box the eagle eye.  No keys.  Otis has not left the house, with the door wide open.

I am now sweating, a;most in a panic, and haven't left the driveway.  One more time into the house.  I've formed a mental check list, and gone through it countless times.  There's Otis, calmly sitting in the middle of our bed.  Ok, one last desperate thought.  I brush Otis aside and I begin pulling back the covers.  As I'm doing so, I swear I heard Otis snicker.  The covers are pulled back, and in the middle of the bed, are the KEYS!!!!!   One of these days Otis, one of these days!

MOBILE BOUND
Our usual route to the Florida Panhandle takes us through Hattiesburg to Hwy 98, and then we turn on Hwy 63, at Lucedale, to I-10.  We miss all the stop and go 98 traffic through North Mobile.  This adds a few minutes, but its four lane all the way and only a few traffic lights, some of which are usually green light.  If traffic is heavy on I-10, then we opt for the Bay Bridge route over Mobile Bay.

I had to make a Costco stop, and it is co convenient, being off the first exit of I-65.  The spousal unit sent me the shopping list, via pictures of the items by text message!  Ain't technology great!





  Several friends Facebooked me about these new Vodka infused ice pops.  I'm looking, and looking.  This sweet young thang interrupts me and asked if she could help me.  I tell her about the ice pops.  Wouldn't you know it, "Oh, I'm sorry, this is my first day, I'm not sure, but maybe they're in the liquor store next door.!  She wasn't very helpful, but she sure was purdy!  Next door, I wait my tum, that's what you do in Costco (unlike Sam's).  I ask the cashier about the ice pops.  He gives me that look.... He then begins to recite the preamble to the constitution, They are only available out west, in three states.....I think he has said this 100 times today already!

Mission accomplished!


Since it is right at noon, on a Friday, and traffic is calm, I go the tunnel route.  No problems.  Once I exit the tunnel, and get to daylight, all I see are cars, trucks, and 18 wheelers, as far as the eye can see!  Fortunately, they were all pointed in the other direction!  I picked up the spousal unit at the Grand, at Point Clear, and then we were off!

FLORIDA LINE
You can tell when you get to Florida on I-10, as they have these nice  welcome signs at the State line.  Some travelers stop and take pictures.  Me, I like the jets mounted in the air at the first rest stop.  We take the Crestwell exit to the toll bridge at Niceville. We invested in a Florida Sunpass years ago and it has been well worth it.  As you approach the bridge, stay left, and avoid the pay line with all those other cars lined up, waiting their turn!  You know you are near when at the other end of the bridge you can spot the boat storage warehouse with the whale murals!  The beach is near!!!!


No comments: