Friday, February 28, 2014

So, ya wanna be a TSA agent

During my time of receiving a government check, I had to report weekly and also apply for three positions each week.  The reporting is all done electronically.

One position that caught my fancy was a part time job being a TSA security agent at the Jackson airport.  I found the link on Career builder.com, pointed my mouse at it and click, I was on my way!  This was two years ago!

I followed the link to the TSA website.  You have to set up a user I'd and no password.,  No biggie.  The secure site has a "dashboard" for you to use so you can follow you progress in becoming a government employee, uniform and all!

After filling out all the paperwork on the website, you give them authorization to do a credit check on you.  They also get your email address so you can be kept aware of your status through the process.  For several months I got an email about once a month.  After that, not so much...

One year later, I get an email inviting me to the next step.  Yes, a year later!  I am to be tested with an aptitude test.

The test is two parts, with a break in the middle.  Because of security reasons I cannot describe the test.  There were 9 other applicants in the room.  After a little bit of discussion, we all learned that each of us had applied over a year ago!  I began the testing, and was on the fast track, so I decided to skip the break and move forward.  I was almost done with the test when I overheard one of the applicants ask the overseer "now how do you get to the next part of the test?".  I just about fell out of the chair!  I finished, got up to leave, and out of the corner of my eye, saw the looks of amazement of the faces of the other applicants.  I'll bet some of them are still there!  Before I got three miles down the road, I got the email that I had passed!  On to the next step!

Another year passes, yep you read that right!  I got am email, then a phone call from the local TSA office, asking me to come in for the next round!

I went to the airport at my assigned time to their undisclosed location.  Spent my time going through the steps, which cannot be disclosed.  They tell me I pass, and hand me an envelope containing the paperwork for a medical physical.

I made my appointment, pee'd in the cup, and jumped through all the hoops.  The medical doctor came in and did his thing, cough, cough.  Now, on to the next step.  Wrong!

I get an email indicating that my file is on medical hold.  I get this envelope containing six requests for additional information, not from me, but from my medical providers!

At this point, I have decided to punt!  If you have not complied with any of their requests for information within 21 days of their request, your file is terminated.  You can restart the process all over again, if you desire, at some point down the road.  I'll be playing with grand babies by then!

Now, to decide what my next great adventure will be!

No comments: