Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Growd Up

Its weird.  How does it happen?  You wake up one morning and discover that all of a sudden your children are all grown up!

The oldest will be 28 next month and yet he is still standing at that fork in the road of life, not knowing which path to take.  Dude, sometimes its one step forward and two steps back, but don't just stand there!  He's been asking for a nudge, one way, or the other.  I learned early with this one, to point him to the mirror.  His decisions will be his own, not gonna blame me for those hickups that come along the way.

The youngest, now 22, snuck up on me.  I thought that we had a good communication pathway.  Turns out I was just hearing myself talk.  He's making adult decisions on his own now.  Some, not so smart, but he gets back up, and moves on.  Last three semesters of college will not phase him.  He will succeed.

Both have girl friends.  Both are very different.  One, I think, has figured out that my bark is way worse than my bite.  The other, no where close.  I have to remind myself that the boys get to pick the girls.  Mom and Dad, here she is, deal with it. God knew what he was doing when he gave me boys.  He forgot to remind me about girl friends and potential daughter in laws.  Yep, I've definitely got work to do on this one.

Funny that there is no user manual for being a human being.  You start off as a son or daughter.  You mature and possibly become a husband or wife.  Then, if you are real lucky, you get an opportunity to be called Momma or Daddy.  So far, I've bent a lot of nails and stripped quite a few screws along this path called life.  Got two more chances, "in-law" and "grandpop".  Hoping the game of life gives me a new set of strikes and outs and maybe some extra innings for these next adventures, assuming those days come my way!


No comments: