Friday, February 20, 2015

working again

A year ago I was house bound with little to do except for the daily routine that I had established for myself.  The unemployment checks had run the course, and my internet job searches had gone idle. I had put some weight, and my knee joints  were now showing more and more aches and pains.

I have been traveling with the spousal unit on her work travels.  As you know, the bus driver eats free.  I began a search for contract employment that would allow me the freedom to accompany the spousal unit on her travels.

My search led me to a position that was posted on Craig's List.  There was a job posted for an assembly technician.  Being one that doesn't like reading instructions, this might be a challenge.  I applied for the job, got a call, and the next thing I knew, my mouth was being swabbed for a drug test.  I was now an official assembly technician!

My first day I was to meet my trainer at one of the local Home Depots.  We started with the grills.  I removed the contents of the box and grabbed the instruction book.  My trainer said "we ain't got time for that.  Watch me!". A year later, I very rarely open the instruction guide :-).

Now, a year later, I'm a few pounds lighter, and inch or two thinner, and the pains in my knee joints has moved yo all of my muscle groups!  I gave up the tub years ago, but now the soaker tub is my sanctuary, with bubbles, of course!

I have not used an alarm since my separation from my old desk job.  Except for the muscle pains, I wake up ready to attack the day. There is no supervision, and occasionally I have been assigned the task of training the " new guy". The pay is piece work, the more you work, the more you get paid.

I recently received my 1099 from the Company.  The amount was around 10% of what I was making at the old desk job.  At this stage of my life its not about the money.  I'm keeping myself busy, working my muscle groups, and was never this happy in my previous life as a bean counter.

Funny thing, my employer required me to sign a nondisclosure agreement, buying my silence.  All I had to say back then was a silent"thank you" for the freedom it gave me.   Three years later, the terms of the agreement have been fulfilled.  Now, the only thing I have to say is "don't worry, I'm happy.  Have a margarita and I'll be at the beach!"

The biggest regret, was the loss of the relationships with my fellow coworkers and the friendships that were developed over 30 years.  But hey, I now have a whole new set of folks to get to know, and these customers are continually cracking me up with their questions and requests!

Any advise I can offer is to love what you do.  Life is literally far too short to spent it doing something you hate.


No comments: