Monday, June 9, 2014

Lab Work

Gotta love that time of year when your annual physical comes around.  This usually includes a "fasting lab" where nothing is consumed after midnight the night before.  This was the case last night.

Since I had to be in Hattiesburg today, I decided to go to the Medical clinic early.  Since Ole Henry Dog and I are early risers, we both go out into the fresh air, walk around, and make sure a bush or two has been properly watered.

I get to the clinic, and there is a sign, "if you are here for lab work, take a number".  There was only one worker behind the desk, and my recollections of her from past visits, meant I was here a bit early, but so were the five ahead of me, and nothing was gonna be happening until more troops arrived..  We all sat and waited.  About thirty minutes later, the front desk was now manned by five ladies.  They took their time signing in, primping, and chatting, before calling the first number.

I have been going to this clinic for years.  One more time, they ask me for my driver's license and insurance card.  They already have that.  She then gives me a stack of papers to fill out before I come back for my checkup.  They already have that.  She mentioned that "they" have just switched to a new system.  Why on green earth can't they just transfer the information that was in the "old" system.
Finally, I have what I need to go to the lab!

Get to the lab, and guess what, "take a number"!  We go through the formalities, and now its time to go get stuck.  Once in the stick room, I take my seat.  I notice an old blood donor couch in the room.  I ask "do ya'll have patients that use that?"  She says "all the time, mostly men that can't handle the needle and the sight of blood".  She asks which arm, and I tell her to stick the left, since most can't hit my veins on the right side.  She must have thought I was a pin cushion.  She missed the vein, pulled back a bit, then wiggled the needle in search of a vein.  In it went!

Now time to go fill up the cup.  I go into the restroom across the hall.  Door shut, time to wake up the unit and turn it on.  One problem.  That earlier session with Ole Henry Dog.  As hard as I tried, nothing.  I am now in full concentration.  I am interrupted by the opening and slamming of the portal door where you put your deposit.  Sorry lady, I ain't done yet, and that did not help!  Somebody then opened the restroom door and went whoops, further inhibiting my ability to concentrate!  Now I'm really frustrated.  There are no cups to take a drink, nothing to inspire the unit to get into the mood.

Suddenly, there is a knock at the door!  Its the blood sucker from earlier.  "Mr. Weems, you still in there?"  Yes Ma'm!  Ok.  The thought of having to come back enters my mind.  I gotta go, to Hattiesburg, and this ain't helping!  Again, she says "Mr. Weems"!  Suddenly the unit woke up, and the yellow fluid began to flow!  Thank you Jesus!  I made my deposit into the portal and I was on my way!

Wonder what the Wednesday appointment has in store for me!

No comments: