Thursday, June 5, 2014

Obstacle Course

Today was one of those days where I was so busy, and so hot, anything to laugh at was a welcome sight.  I was assigned to work at the Brandon Home Depot location.  This store has the highest sales volume in its region.  They really push volume through that store.

I knew it was going to be a busy day, with Father's Day just around the corner.  All the stores are doing a build up on a new grill for that weekend.  I knew there would be a ton of stuff dropped, waiting on me.  I got there at 6:30 to get a head start.



This is just a sample of what was on the floor when I got there.  These boxes were in the spot where we usually do the assembly, because it is usually shady.  Not today.

As I entered the parking lot, you could see that they had begun repaving the parking lot.  After I got settled in, at a spot that I thought might be cool, the asphalt grinder entered the back parking lot.  Those machines make a ton of noise, but they also throw off a ton of heat!  Between them and the sun, I was getting baked.  I went through my supply of water in no time.

The store began filling up the aisles with tons of merchandise, getting ready for a big weekend, with an even bigger one coming up, Father's Day.  I had to assemble the first boxes I'd come to so I could make a clear path.  As I made progress, the trash began to pile up.  I had it all stacked up on push carts to dispose of later in the day.

Between the pile of boxes to be assembled, my work station, the trash, and the completed grills, I had built and surrounded myself with a pretty good obstacle course for any customers that might attempt to come by.  But some, would not be put off!

One women squeezed through to look at some stepping stones.  A guy zigged and zagged to look at some wheel barrows (he could have used another aisle!)  One woman, with teenage son, and wheelchair bound father pushed the assembled grills and flat carts with trash out of the way, then asked me "where them raised beds at".  I took great joy in telling her "I don't work here!"

The last guy was looking at a dump cart, still in the box.  I was too busy and tired to tell him that assembly is free.  He looked at me, then looked at one of the push carts I was using.  He said "you mind?"  Not at all.

I got to thinking, what if I stacked those boxes and the trash all the way across the aisle?  Gotta believe one of Home Depot's fine customers would give it a shot!

No comments: