Friday, September 5, 2014

Delta Foodie Run

Been making cooler boxes and cheese straws and its now time for the Delta delivery run.  Had two cooler boxes to deliver, one in Inverness and the other in Leland.  Also had a ton of cheese straws I was taking for the family wedding on Saturday.

In order to miss all the going to work traffic, I took HWY 25 up to HWY 43 to the new road that intersects with the Nissan Parkway.  Its a little faster, but missing the stress of Metro Jackson going to work traffic was the key.  Once I get past Canton, I turn onto HWY 16 and take it to Yazoo City.

As a was reaching the city limits of Yazoo City, my hunger pains starting to kick in.  I decided to stop at Mickey Dee's for my snack.  Whoa! I could tell from the highway that this location was a happening place, and it was late, around 8:30.  The parking lot was totally full.  Every kind of vehicle was wrapped around that place twice, with double lines!  The retirees must have been having their weekly gathering here, as they all had handicapped tags on their cars, trucks, scooters, and transport vans.  Fortunately for me, the line wasn't too long of a wait.

I dropped off the first cooler box and the cheese straws in Inverness then made my way to Leland.  I had a cooler to deliver to the relatives of my good friend Mary Frances.  I ragged her bad on this trip because on the last delivery she gave me the wrong address!  Delivery was confirmed by the owner of the house, this time!

I had always heard about a restaurant in Leland called Connie's kitchen.  Never need able to stop before because they are closed on weekends.  They have a country food service, but are known for their baked goods.  This trip was for some of their cinnamon rolls.  Also tried one of their lemon squares. Awesome!  Here is a pic of the rolls:



Yep!  They are covered in icing.  Can't wait to try one tomorrow, which is a early riser for football Saturday in Starkville!

My next stop was Indianola.  No delivery, just a stop on the loop back toward home.  My destination on this stop was a place called Pea Soup's!  Its been a fixture of Indianola forever, currently owned by Brenda and Thomas Lott.  I went in, and placed my order.  There was a fellow in the back that kinda looked like Thomas.  He had Thomas's dark skin tone, but he was a whole lot older, heavier, shorter, and uglier than I remembered.  Of course, he was probably thinking the same thing about me!  As soon as I saw Brenda, I immediately recognized her, pretty as the first day I'd laid eyes on her, WAY back in the day.  They did not recoginize me, obviously for the reasons described above!

Here are some pics of Pea Soup's:

dining room decor

steak fingers, fries and hot dawg bun toast

Backside of Mrs. Brenda working the outside window
If you are in the area, give Pea Soup's a try.  Their son is a partner in the original Lost Pizza, which is next door.  A sign of that success is all of the Lost Pizza franchises popping up in Metro Jackson and Memphis. Love me some Lost!


Next stop was to see a friend of mine, Jack Beasley, in Yazoo City.  Jack is a festival food vendor that travels the country providing his mostly fried or grilled treats from his food trailer called Funny Face Foods:

 
 
Jack parks his food trailer just off HWY 49 in Yazoo City, pretty close to Ubon's BBQ.  The trailer is open Friday-Sunday when they are not on the road vending at some event.
 
My stop was for one item in particular, their red velvet funnel cake:
Its bad enough that its sprinkled with a heavy dusting of powdered sugar, but they add cream cheese icing too!  OMG, I was in funnel cake heaven.  If you are passing by on a weekend that they are open, stop and try this or one of their other unique foodie treats!

Finally made it home after all these foodie stops.  Now time to prep for Football Saturday!
 
 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well since I got you to the Delta and the right place I love Pea Soups fried corn on the cob was my "thing" i always had every time I went after softball games, loved the food. I would have made a stop on the zone for some Varsity Food also
but you done good Bill the cooler was a hit check in mail next one will be for me Black and Gold Who Dat

Unknown said...

Mary Frances