Sunday, September 14, 2014

Game Day in Rebel Land

Early start today with a road trip to Oxford to see the Spousal Unit's Rebels play.  Kinda funny, we've made two trips to Starkville already and its like dragging a sack of taters outa the bed.  Today, the Spousal Unit is up bright and early at 5:00 a.m.  Guess I need to change her calendar for the next Bully game to make her think we are headed to Oxford!

We had the car smelling some kinda fine as we pulled out of the driveway.  We had pork butt all foiled up, fresh off the fire, smoking spicy sausage cheese balls, and the aroma of the Spousal Unit's fancy hot ham and cheese fancy sammaches filling the air.  Had to make a quick stop at Kroger for the ice and slider buns before hitting the highway.

As I was making my way back to the car in the parking lot, I heard this older fella say "are you ready"?  Since I was wearing red and blue (payback for some cowbell fun last weekend) I'm guessing he thought I was one of his fellow Rebel Fans.  Rather than give him the customary "Hell Yeah" reply, my quick bulldog wit came up with "yep, car is packed and ready to roll, just needed a bag of ice"!  I thought I'd thrown him for a loop with that one.  Nope, he worked his way over to the car.

From just one look, I could tell he has been to his fair share of Rebel football games.  He was extremely proud of his straw hat, which was covered in buttons that you just don't see every day.  Some were quite faded, but you could tell that each had quite a few stories to tell.  Some dated back to the sixties, and of course one of the oldest said "Go to Hell LSU"!
 

 He was one of those die hard Ole Miss Fans that never attended the first class on the campus in Oxford.  Being from south Mississippi, his Daddy sent him to Southern Miss, or as he called it "Hardy Street Elementary"!  He has a canvas banner that says "Go to Hell LSU" that he puts up in his car window.  He gets the biggest kick out of young LSU coeds that shoot him the finger as they pass him in the highway.  My kinda football fan!


Had the strangest sighting as we began the trek east on Highway 6.  As we passes the Marathon gas station on the right, we noticed that the Rebel Trailer that sells all the Rebel goods was not in the parking lot.  I cannot remember ever driving by and not seeing that red trailer, up front and center!

We make it to Oxford, and I took the Old Taylor Road exit.  You would think that you were in another country.  They have added one of those loopty loop round-a-bouts on both sides of Highway 6.  That's in addition to the one you ride through on the edge of campus.  It almost felt like a carnival ride!

I pulled up to the edge of the grove to unload all the goodies for the day, and when I opened the door, the rush of cold air hits me!  Its freaking 61 degrees!  I was wearing my flippers for God's sake!  Fortunately I had packed some socks and shoes for the walk to the stadiums.

I like to get set up early so that I can enjoy the sights of the day.  To my surprise, there was only one poor fellow to get busted for toting a multipack of beer.  This guy had the misfortune to get busted with a multipack of 8 oz cans of Coors Light.  What male buys 8 oz cans????

 
 On this day, the designated color was navy blue.  I swear, I have never seen so many women wearing the same color dress, in all the designer styles!  So many of them were short and sheer.  I had a mental picture of all of them taking their seat on those cold metal bleachers, all at the same time, and coming up with a new Ole Miss cheer "ooooh that's COLD"!

I made my trademark sugar cookies that are cut out in the shape o the State of Mississippi.  Since today was designated navy blue day, I iced them in navy royal icing.  It took three bottles of food coloring to get the desired deep blue color.  I was cracking up each time someone took a bite of these cookies.  Every time they would smile or begin  to talk, all you could see was blue teeth and blue tongues!  Probably be seeing something else blue tomorrow!


Ole Miss and CSpire teamed up to provide game day wifi access at the stadium and today was the first day of beta testing.  I brought my Nexis tablet to do a little beta testing myself.  I took a selfie and one of the spousal unit shaking her "thang one" red pom pom.  It took about five minutes for each of them to upload through Facebook.



The beta test went ok until the second quarter.  I think that it either got overloaded or the powers that be just disconnected it.  Never could get connected after that!  They got a long way to go if they think non-CSpire users are gonna pay $5 for that.  They have one more game of testing before it goes live.

As the first half was coming to a close, four women took a seat on the row in front of us.  I mention to one of them that they must be Mom's of freshmen on the  Rebelette cheer squad.  They looked at me and said "why yes, we are.  how can you tell??"  I've been sitting in these seats for quite a few years, and believe me, you can just tell!

Game over, and the exodus from the stadium begins.  The freshmen coeds have a long way to go to keep up with the upper classmen.  They were the ones walking bare footed, with a drink in one hand, and their three inch heels in the other!

As the Grove began to clear out, and the packup crews began to arrive to dismantle things, it was time for us to pack up for the hike to the parking lot.  My friend Kyle, in from Kansas, had rented a house for the weekend.  His buddies had cancelled out on him at the last minute.  Before we left the tailgate for the game, he had no takers for the other bedrooms.  By the time we are packing up, Kyle had four female house guest in tow.  Atta boy Kyle!

Two weeks until the next home game.  Hoping Mother Nature doesn't have anymore surprises in store for us.  Stay tuned......
 

No comments: