Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Dental Virgin

Well, I had to go to Dr. Vic this morning.  He used to call me his "dental virgin" because all he could get out of me were some x-rays and a cleaning twice a year.  I got my first filling at the age of forty, and its been down hill ever since.  My teeth have never been pretty, but they have been healthy.

Today I went in for a follow up to some receding gum issues and two fillings.  Fillings now are to fix the wear and tear of all the good eating I've done in my adult life.  Still no crowns, just a few fillings and a wisdom tooth extraction years ago.

The best thing, or only good thing about going to see Dr. Vic, are his dental Hygienists.  If you aren't blonde and pretty, you won't be working here!  Its hilarious to be lying in the dental chair, looking up at those eyes, then having them say something to you and all can do is say argggggle!  Today during the cleaning, the hygienist was up close and personal.  She was just cleaning away and talking to me, and I hear this huge growl!  At first I thought it was me, because she just kept talking and working away.  Finally, when she took a breath, I asked her, "was that your stomach???"  She said, "yeah, I didn't eat supper last night, and I was gonna eat my breakfast after I finished up with you.  Kinda sounded like a bear, didn't it!"  Yep it did!

Her work all done, it was time for Dr. Vic.  I was moved to a different chair, where Miss Brenda was waiting.  She had this cute little thing with her.  I said "rut row, we gotta trainee today??"  The young assistant said "yes".  I asked how long had she been working.  Her answer was "this is my first day".  I yelled "OMG!  Dr. Vic, you're using a rookie on me????"  He said "she's got to learn it sometime, so why not do it on the worst patients!"  I asked her where she went to school, "Hinds" was the reply.  I said, "Oh my, not UMC????  Miss Brenda spoke up "I went to Hinds".  I then asked "well today they say "see you at Hinds", what did they say back in your day?"  Dr. Vic interjected "probably good bye!"  I asked are you making all A's?  She shly said "some A's, and lots of B's".

I told her, "If you can survive me today you'll be ok.  Dr. Vic said "Bill's an asshole that kids around a lot.  Its the assholes that aren't kidding that you have to worry about!"

Dr. Vic applied his magic potions and the needle and before long my mouth was completely numb.  He got started, then was barking out orders, and things weren't going exactly the way he wanted.  It wasn't long before Dr. Vic asked  Miss Brenda to step in.  I felt like I was in a scene from M.A.S.H. and the top dog assistant was called in.  Miss Brenda is no Hot Lips Houlihan!  Dr. Vic was working me over to get these two fillings done.  I held my big ole mouth open as far as I could get it, thinking I was gonna have a muscle cramp any minute!  He was finally done.  The rookie assistant stepped back in to do the wipe down and clean up.  Maybe she will have a better experience with the next patient.

Well, ole Dr. Vic doesn't refer to me as his "dental virgin" anymore, now that he has taken care of fire fillings over the past ten years.  Next appointment in December.  Hopefully no more fillings or other dental work for a while!

No comments: