Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Bottle Tree

A few years ago my mom and pop blessed me with a bottle tree.  I woke up one morning to find a rebar bottle tree in my front yard, a birthday present surprise from you know who!

I scratched my head on this one for a bit.  Decided to make a flowerbed around it in the back yard.  Got some retaining wall bricks and presto! Instant flower bed! Decided to go with multicolored bottle arrangememt.  Problem was, the liquor store only had a few choice colors.  Finally ordered some blue and red and depended on the neighborhood winers for the rest.

I dug a trench and ran an extension cord through some PVC pipe to give it some juice.  Bottle collection was ready, bought some string lights And in no time the tree was complete.  I added a timer and been enjoying it ever since.

Eventually the strings of lights would burn out and I'd be out there restringing.  Two years ago I got smart and upgraded to LED lights.  More expensive,($100) but should last a lot longer.  Well, two years later, only one strand is still burning.  Figured the fuses had done popped so I found some this season.  I open up the little fuse box to discover the fuses had not blown.  



Now I'm stumped.  Got to looking and discover that the wires had been cut.  Figuring it had to be those damn squirrels I've been hauling off!  After a few choice curse words, decided to go back to the cheap strings.



Hoping the next squirrel to take a bite gets a nice jolt!

No comments: