Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Time of Thanksgiving

If you spend anytime at all on Facebook, you know that the month of November is the official month to express "30 days of thankfulness".  Me, I'm thankful everyday to be alive, well, and able to do things for my family and others less fortunate.  I do have a list, like everybody else, here are my top ten:

1. Most important of all, I am thankful for the girl I met and married over 30 years ago.  She could have had a lot others, but she said yes to me.  Love you LaNelle Leggett Weems!

2.  Matthew and Morgan.  You are the greatest gifts two parents could ever ask for.  We have always told you to follow you dreams and we will be there to support you.  May God be with you on the paths that each of you have chosen.

3.  Thank you Mississippi.  I have had the opportunity to be raised in the Mississippi Delta during better times.  I lot of what I experienced is now gone.  The small towns scattered throughout the Delta are now shells of their grand pasts.  I used to love Saturday's, to see "all the country come to town"  Folks, black and white, would come in to town to do their shopping, get their haircuts, sit on a porch, and share a few stories. 

4.  Ain't nuthin' like the south.  Growing up down here is a place like no other.  You learn your manners early, Saying "Yes Sir, and No Ma'am" comes automatic.  Nowadays, people seem to be insulted when you refer to them as "Sir" or Ma'am".  This is purely an expression of respect and courtesy.  Accept it when offered.  Lots of things are taken for granted these days, like holding the door open of those that follow you, returning shopping carts to the store, allowing someone with a handful of items to checkout first.

5.  Glad to see churches now offering a contemporary service as an option for those unfamiliar with the ways of the traditional service.  I spent over 20 years running the sound board at my local church.  Gave me the reason it "get up and get dressed" on many a Sunday that the passion wasn't there.   In the early days, the sound system was located in the eagle's nest at the back of the church.  You see the world a little different from up there.  You can spot the "regulars" that occupy the same seat, year after year, You notice those that come on the major holidays, you get to see who give from the wallet, and I even watch a girl faint at the rail during a youth confirmation service!  Now I'm driving the bus on Wednesday's to pick up the "hellions" for choir practice, driving the golf cart for those needing assistance, and working at Stewpot Food Pantry with some other devoted St. Marks members.  Yep that old 20/80 rule is still alive and well.  Join the 20, you will be glad you did!

6.  Glad I learned to cook.  Still learning.  Love it when a good meal brings a smile to my two boys.  Cooking for my tailgating groups in the fall is all pleasure.  I try to put a little bit of love, besides the sugar, salt, and pepper, in everything I cook.    I'll ask the boys what do you want me to cook and the response is always "don't matter, we love it all", but bacon wrapped chicken livers, not so much!

7.  Thankful for all those Facebook friends that read my posts and those that make me break out in laughter from a posting of theirs.  My boys say I'm addicted to FB.  Maybe so, but hey, its my lifeline to the world of friends current and past.  "Getting retired"  took me away from the thing I loved the most, the interaction with other people.  Get used to it, FB is filling that void.  Ain't much on twitter, but I do like Instagram.  Thank you social media!

8.  Love my road trips.  Driving the Spousal Unit on her appointed rounds has given me the opportunity to go places you would not normally venture to.  I'm allowed the time to explore to find a bargain or two, eat and meet in some truly unique establishments, and never be bored.

9.  Thank you to my Granddad for my Jewish heritage.  Without it I would be lost.  I just love finding a bargain.  I buy them up, and stick them in the  "gift closet".  Son commented one time, "Dad, does everything have to have a clearance sticker on it?"  Can't help it, its in my bones!

10.  Thank you God for boxers!  I never did like those "tighty whities".  And I hate it when my favorite pair all of a sudden fall apart from dry rot.  Takes months to break them in, and then all of a sudden, RIP!  Other times, you eventually end up in a public restroom, only to discover while getting dress in the dark that morning, I put them on backwards!

No comments: