Thursday, November 7, 2013

Road Tripping Through Corinth

Spousal unit had a scheduled trip to Corinth, MS to teach an all day class, so being the chauffeur that I am, off we go!

Corinth is not a town you go "through".  You have to go to there, up hwy 25 to Starkville, then over to hwy 45 up to Tupelo and then to your final destination of Corinth.

Russell Beef House:
Before checking into the hotel, we made a dinner detour to Russell's Beef House, known for their "world famous salad bar", according to the digital advertising sign out from.

After walking in to Russell's you get your choice of seating.  Right off you see the fire pit where literally everything is cooked except for French fries and the aforementioned salad bar.  Note above the grill stated "watch out for flying taters!  We decided to sit in the back corner in case one of those taters took flight.

Menu was pretty simple, a one sided sheet, beef being the most prominent food item.  Decided on the sirloin fer two.  That " world famous salad bar" was hardly the attraction advertised out front.  But, that was not why we were there!  We ordered it mediim, got to remember to say medium rare in the future.  That sucker was 32 ounces of sirloin, with the biggest piece of grilled beef fat on the side.  My Pops would be envious!



 Steak was a bit overdone, but still, very tasty.  Spousal unit dipped her bites into two sauces on the table, one being that flavor killer called Heinz 57.  Done, off to the hotel we went.

Hampton Inn:
Just love being a Hilton Gold Card member, comes from that timeshare purchase years ago.  Membership gets you free internet, a snack and a drink at check in.  Good bed, hot shower and of course that complementary breakfast in the morning.

Went for a quick bite before dropping the spousal unit off at her seminar site.  Finished eating my cereal, when the kitchen lady approached our table and said "I'll take your bawl" if you're done with it.  I was like, huh,  then she said "bowl"!  Got a good laugh out of that.  They sure do speak a different language up here in NE Mississippi!

Friend Debbie at the next table mentioned a place called "Babe's that had famous biscuits.  She quickly corrected me and said it was Abe's.  I was already hooked, had to go there next!

Super KMart:
Last KMart I was in was I Gulfport and it was in the last stages of closure.  This one was hot for the picking!  Picked up two Halloween costumes 70% off for me and my buddy Kelly.  Kelly has a preacher permit, and we figured that with the two Monk priest outfits I got for $6, we could set up a storage she'll behind St. Marks and start their 4th ministry, flip flops required for admission!




Abe's Grill:
Abe's is one of those places you would find on "Diners, Drive ins and Dives".  The outside is covered in so Mich memorabilia, it just invites you to come I'm.  Its a small place with counter seating and a one seater unisex bathroom.  The door at the end of the counter leads to the walk on cooler, where everything is stored.  The grill probably had am inch of baked on grease on it that gives everything its unique grilled on flavor.

Abe asked me what'll I have?  Said I wanted one of his world famous biscuits.  He said, with his back to me "no, two!" While holding up two fingers!  "Whatcha want on it"? I hesitated,  he said "OK, ham it will be".  Lady asked "whatcha drinking"?  I said water.  She gave me iced tea!  I have officially fallen in love with the place!






Next customer asked for a breakfast plate.  Abe says "I'm done with breakfast, pick something else.  They decide on a BBQ sammich.  Next customer comes in and gets a breakfast plate.  Abe says they phoned their order in from Memphis.  Still not sure there was actually a phone in there.  Boy, felt lucky to get my biscuit(s) (plus ham and sweet tea!)

Wood Carver:
While riding up and down hwy 72 looking for some distraction, I came across a shed labeled "Wood Carvings".  There were all sizes of tree trunks scattered on the grounds.  A work in progress was a bear, standing, with a cub at its side.  I couldn't help but think it was gonna be a statue for "the school up north_ in honor of their new team mascot, the Black Bear!



Slugburger:
They always say, when in a new town, eat what the
Locals eat.  The spousal unit had mentioned the local food item was a "slugburger" and there was even a festival named after it. Before hitting the sack, i did my research, using that free internet.  It is supposed to be ground beef, with a filler, that is deep fried.

While riding around, I found the "Slugburger Cafe".  I entered the building and immediately was in a stare down with three of the wait staff.  Guessing they smelled Abe's Grill on me.  I sat down and said "I'm here for a slugburger".  Waitress says, "OK, comes with mustard, pickle and onion".  Said OK, but drop the pickle, add cheese, fries and a diet coke.  Felt like I was taking the order.  Again, must a been the smell from Abe's!

Slugburger is nothing to write home about, 99% fried filler.  Funny thing is, everyone that walked thru the door was ordering them.  And you guessed it, they got the friendly smile treatment that somehow I had missed out on-Abe's!



While I struggled to get that slugburger down with my canned diet coke, I began to listen.  One feller mentioned that the plant had just finished putting in an electric fence.  Said "them boys that drink beer after work on the back lot got a rude awakening coming".  Visual:  Bubba peeing over in the corner, accidentally hitting that electric fence!

On the other side was a lady talking about receiving a debit card for her to get to fer 401k retirement.  Said she gets charged $2 on every transaction, and when she called customer service, the representative one the lone didn't speak English!  All she wanted was to put cash into her checking account, but the card kept rejecting every time she tried to transfer the money.  She had me cracking up with every sentence.  I kept my composure, but was real tempted to ask her if she had signed up for Obummercare!


No comments: