Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Foodies

Trout:
Went to Louisiana Lagniappe for dinner tonight.  On the menu they had grouper almondine.  I got a good chuckle out of that.  Years ago, we would go to Morrison's Cafeteria at North Park Mall.  The spousal unit would order the trout almondine.  It was a rectangular piece of fish encrusted in almonds.  One night we ventured out to the Fishermen's Wharf.  They had trout almondine on the menu, so the spousal unit ordered it.  The plate was put in front of her.  Staring up at her was a whole fish, including head and eyeball!  She freaked out, then calmly placed her slice of tomato garnish on top on the head, then nibbled away.

Calamari:
Took Morgan and his friend Nick to Orlando one summer.  All Nick wanted to eat was chicken nuggets and Mac & Cheese.  I made it my challenge to expand his eating habits.  At the next restaurant I ordered an appetizer, calamari.  We worked on ole Nick.  We said it looked like onion rings.  We finally had Nick talked into trying it.  As he was putting it into his mouth, he asked "now, what is this again?". I looked at him all serious and said " squid testicles, I mean tentacles!". That boy couldn't spit it out fast enough!

Brunswick Stew
Growing up, my dad was always cooking one of his family recipes.  This time it was his Brunswick stew.  The primary ingredient in this batch was a pig's head.  My sister had company that night, a girl friend named Meg.  Meg served up a bowl of the stew and took up a seat at the table. As she began to eat, she said that she had never had this dish before and it was quite good.  Her next spoonful ended up having a tooth in it!  My dad said "well dang, I thought I got them all".  Despite that, Meg took a few more bites.  And she got another tooth.  That was the end of that meal for ole Meg!

No comments: