Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Internet Shopper

I was working my job as an assembly technician yesterday in the City of Vicksburg.  After putting in a long day, I now understand the term "the dog days summer", in August.  OMG, was it hot!

I finished my last item, then headed to the receiving department, to begin the process of disposing of all my trash.  As I made my way, I noticed a grill still in a box that was a custom order.  I thought, that dude shoulda requested for it to be assembled, free at Home Depot.

Trash all done, I headed to the service desk to get the required signature on my paperwork.  Get there, and the service manager is busy with a customer.  OK, guess I'll wait my turn.  At least its cool inside.

As I wait, I observe that the service manager if working with this customer, who had placed an internet order.  He bought the exact model that was in the box back in receiving.  The manager tells him that his grill is here, and back in receiving.  I'm thinking, yep, this old guy shoulda had it assembled.

The customer, then says, " and I want it assembled".  I'm standing there, next to him, in my assembler t-shirt.    I'm thinking, you know, I've been here all day, I'm hot, I'm tired, I'm covered in sweat, I'm gonna just keep my mouth shut!

The service manager says "I'm checking with the sales associate in the garden center to see how long it will take the assembler to put it together for you.  He is here today and he only comes one day a week now that the summer is winding down. Up to this point she has not looked my way during this entire transaction. Mouth is still shut.

Customer says OK, and decides he wants to inspect the box for damage.  Off he goes.  My mouth is still shut.  Its now my turn.

Service manager finally looks up, and I hand her my invoice for her to sign.  Startled, she says, " oh, you're the assembly tech!". I say yes ma'am.  She then asks the dreaded question "you got time"?   I tell her that I have been here since 7 this morning (its now 4:20), and they brought a bunch of items to assemble, but that grill wasn't one of them.  She kinda chuckles, and says that this order was an online purchase and the sale did not come through until 4. I say, " that was twenty minutes ago, and I've been standing here for at least ten!"

The guy was at home and ordered the grill online.  Home Depot sent him an automated text message indicating that the grill was at his local Home Depot, waiting on him.  He must a flew to get to the store in ten minutes, and he was expecting it to already be assembled?

Wow!  See how amazing ordering off the internet can be?  Sorry dude, grill won't be assembled for another week!


No comments: