Sunday, May 25, 2014

Beach Prep Day

Last leg of our journey.  Its a short ride from Pensacola, if you take the Niceville exit off I10, then take the toll road to the bay bridge.  Nice sunny day with no clouds in sight.  Pulled up to the toll station, and as I was paying my $3, I reminded the lady that I did indeed have my windshield wipers I'm the off position.  We both got a chuckle aou of that!

Finally arrived at our destination of Sandestin for our seven day stay!  Now we gotta wait til 4:00 for check in.  What to do, what to do.....  Why outlet mall of course!  Memorial weekend sales!  3 days only!  Guess what, parking lot was packed!.  Decided to take a lunch break instead at our friend Marian's favorite spot on the Emerald Coast.   Its a place called Kenny D's.

Parking is always a challenge on this section of the strip.  Its the biggest stretch of public access to the beach.  I mentioned to the waitress that this is one of the hardest places to find.  She laughed, saying, " I hear that all the time.  Everybody is too busy looking beach side!
See what I mean.  Nobody notices the other side of the road with this view!

 Great appetizers!  Saw this sign in Kenny D's and had to take a picture.  It so reminded me of our neighbors and their weekend beer drinking:


Back to the outlet center we go.  Got my t-shirts at the Nautica Outlet.  Now to have them monogramed with my slogan "its a flip flop kinda day"!  Walked by a bench loaded down with a family of four.  Everyone of them were texting away!  I mentioned, " a family that texts together, stays together!". The eldest child commented that "they were not all from the same family"!  Momma hit him in the head with her purse.

While the spousal unit was grabbing bargains in the North Polo, I began my people watching.  Forma minute there, I thought I was in Orlando, not hearing much Southern English, but a lot of other dialects.  I'm sure its all translated to " I'm hungry, I'm tired of shopping, I want to go swimming, and its beach time!"

Felt sorry for one young gal.  This is Saturday, usually day one for everybody.  She was as white as a virgin snow.  Accept for her shins, a bright shiny red glow.  Darling, if it ain't hurting now, it will be tonight!

Got all checked in to Club Intrawest, one of our timeshare condo deals.  I took the cart back to its resting place, only to have it quickly taken by a young girl waiting.  I look up, and she is riding it down to the parking lot like a surf board!  Why didn't I think of that!

We went to the pool area to soak our feet.  Soon a family of five, including three young boys showed up.  The momma was a knockout southern peach from Georgia.  Small talk led us to find out that the guy married her along with her three boys.  You could tell that there were still some insecurities with the boys as stepdad was working with the youngest on learning to swim.  Little one was pretty quick to go clinging back to momma.  It takes a special kinda guy to fall for a ready made family of four.  I don't know anything about this guy, but in ten minutes I could tell he was special!

Made the grocery run.  Publix is right next door, but we opted to go down the road a bit to Wally World.  This was one of those small stores, brown brick on the outside, and full of goods and customers on the inside.  Almost needed a traffic cop on the aisles!

At checkout, the clerk was not having a good day.  I asked her was this the beginning or the end of her shift, as she looked more tired than a maypop tire! She grinned and said two hours into her shift.  After a giggle or two between us, she looked at my spousal unit's shirt and said "you Ole Miss? I know Ole Miss!". Spousal unit said, " well yes I am" in her usual southern drawl way!  The clerk said " yep, I know Ole Miss.  Michael Orr, that crazy white woman and the movie Blind Side.  Saw it two times.  I live Ole Miss".  She looked up at me and said "you Ole Miss too?". Me, " nope, pure bulldog, married that Rebel, and our first born went to Southern!

Back to the condo to rest up for a laid back day at the beach.  Frozen margaritas are already made up, bagged up, and ready to go!  Now to charge my batteries so I will be too!

Our sunset!


God bless, life is good.  All the time.  Come join us!

No comments: