Monday, May 19, 2014

I must be getting old!

This aging process is starting to get to me.  Used to be I was less tolerant of people that don't take care of business, and my looks and growls could intimidate a the best of them.  I think that is what got me retired early.

Last week I was approached by a young gal soliciting a monetary hand out.  In the old days I would a told her to get a job or two, don't you see that you interrupted me working (at Home Depot).  In stead this is what transpired:

While working at the Home Depot in Hattiesburg yesterday, I was approached by a young lady who looked like she had something on her mind. She was wearing a "Wards Hamburger" tshirt so I figured she was from the area. She began by apologizing for asking, but she had issues with her sister, admitted to the hospital, etc... I interrupted her before she got to the "M" word. I told her I was not an... employee, just a contractor. I carry no money with me because I meet so many people just like her. Told her I would listen to the rest of her story now. She, now in tears, thanked me for listening. She talked a bit, I told her I would pray for her, then she went on her way. Don't know it it helped her or not, but it sure felt better to me than just saying "beat it".


The other day, this car stopped dead in its tracks in front on my on hwy 80 on Pearl.  The old me would have whipped around that car and sped up to make up for lost time.  Instead, this transpired:

Right place right time: traveling down hwy 80 in Pearl. Car in front of me comes to a complete stop. WTH??? Passenger jumps out and flags down a very older driver coming down the wrong way! Passenger was an off duty Pearl Policewoman on her way to work. Cudoos to her!

Last Friday, I filled in for a coworker over in Vicksburg.  I worked hard to complete all that  could in an afternoon so that the coworker would not be overloaded on Monday.  The old me would  have stopped in time to get the paperwork taken care of.  But, no, I just had to do a bit more.  The result:

"Co-worker in Vicksburg went to the Doctor with blood pressure issues. I went over to fill in. Put in over five hours to cover for him. My reward: 1 hour, 45 minutes to get paperwork approved. Coworker's blood pressure is back to normal after a medication adjustment. My blood pressure is now up! Fair trade, NOT!:"

 This old body of mine doesn't rebound as quickly either.  My bones and muscles ache every day.  No complaints here though, as I have lost 15 pounds and the tendonitis in my knees is almost gone.

We decided to put in a parking slab beside our driveway since the Rankin Overlay District had given me a citation for parking my truck on the grass, on top of some parking grids that grass had overgrown.  To keep the cost down, somebody had to bust up the four bags of concrete the were used to anchor a basketball pole 19 years ago.  One hickory sledge hammer handle and four blisters later, and done!  I didn't mention how long it has been since I have slung and Axe or sledge for that long.  Yep, muscles I forgot I had, started to talk to me, "hey fool, what the hell are you doing?  We are retired!"

Photo: Note to new parents.  If you put a basketball pole in the ground, do not use 4 bags of quickcrete.   19 years later ya gotta bust that mother up to put in a parking slab.  A pair of gloves, one busted hickory sledge handle and three blisters later, we are now framing it up for the pour.
The concrete almost won!




Yesterday we went to the First Annual Pocahontas Crawfish Festival.  My son number 1 proceeded to tell me "my God this music is old and out of date.  I didn't care because DeAnna Hoer Lively was singing and I loved her music back in the day.  Then son #1 proceeded to tell me that he could out drink me.  I got tickled on that one and I knew how to handle it.  Since I was paying the the tab, I just cut it off and paid the bill!

Photo: Pinch them before they pinch you!
Mudbugs, of yeah!

Photo: DeAnna Hooper Lively at the Pocahontas Crawfish Festival!  Makes my heart good!
DeAnna Hooper Lively still "has it" as far as I'm concerned!

Photo: Hair is gone. And a new hat to cover it up.
Son #1 and Girly friend

Today our crews were two men short.  I got to my assignment, and the store manager said "we are gonna need more than just you".  Later my boss told me to quit early and go to another store without telling the first store.  I worked till I had put a pretty good dent in the items pulled.  Nine hours later I was off to the second location.  Four hours later I drove up into my drive way.  My body was yelling " hot water and bubbles"!

Thankfully, come Wednesday we will be road tripping it too the beach with Roo Cup in hand and the margarita machine in the back, headed for some fully deserved R&R, and blogging, of course!

Live is good, all the to!e, even when your muscles hurt from a day of work!

No comments: