Sunday, May 4, 2014

Life as an Assembly Technician

My new found occupation as an assembly technician has me working mostly at the various Home Depot locations in the Jackson metro area.

So far, its been an answer to a prayer for something to do with my idle time between gigs as a chauffeur for the spousal unit.  Not a lot of money, but I am outside, in the shade, working my choice of hours, with minimal supervision.

Guys may think that they have "all the tools of the trade" in their tool box, but not for this job!  An absolute list of necessities include:  impact drill, deep well metric sockets, rubber mallet, good supply of Phillips head bits, work table, and magnetic extensions.  Company requires the use of a safety blade box cutter.

We wear company t-shirts that have ”assembly technician” written across the back in bold letters.  Every day I'm asked "where is this, and where is that".  Usually I refer them to the fellers in the orange aprons.

Its funny watching people pick out a wheel barrow.  The young first time home owners go for the cheapest one.  Middle aged lookers scratch their heads, trying to decide which one, since the last one didn't hold up.  Occasionally I will recommend one to them.  The older guys buy in the middle of the pack, since they don't want one that will out live them by 20 years.  The professional contractors know exactly what they want.

We are usually set up kinda out of the way of the traffic flow.  But, it never fails the people pushing a shopping cart think of it as a snow plow, and try to push their way through!  Some times we set out an obstacle course for them.  Those that don't hit anything get bonus points!

The commenter's crack me up.  " This must be wheel barrow day".  "You putting together a grill?". " You just confirmed why I but it already assembled", and my favorite one "when's the food gonna be ready?"

People joke about how long it takes a woman to get ready to go shopping.  Well, not at Home Depot! I've seen all kinds of outfits!  And believe it or not, but even the women of "Madison" don't wear a bit of makeup on their trips to the garden center!

Last two weeks have been great.  I have not cut myself, or bruised any part of my body.  Big toenail is still black from dropping a picnic table on it.

The best and worst part is my old bones ache everyday.  Nothing more soothing than a spa tub full of bubble bath and hot water for sore muscles.  I have lost a few pounds, but I'm seeing fat going away and being replaced with muscle.  A pretty good trade off.

This job is not for everyone, but it is for me.  There is always the challenge of putting together something new, and I get to use all my new toys, especially the impact screw driver, its the bomb!

Life is good, but it is not all work and no play.  Heading to the beach in a couple of weeks, with umbrella, chair, and margarita machine in hand.  Toes in the sand here I come!

No comments: