Friday, May 30, 2014

Rainy Day at the Beach-Plan B!

The weather has been a threat for two days.  Clouds in the distance, but nothing threatening.  You knew it was coming, as the surf action was picking up.

First you could barely hold your position on the sandy bottom to do what comes natural.  You either brave it, hold it, or make a dash for the pool house.

The next day the surf is pounding the coastline.  The yellow flags are quickly changed to red.  The beach patrol gives the unsuspecting the customary caution.  Rip currents are silent threats that are real.  Got word of two close calls and one tragedy at Phoenix East near Orange Beach.  Listen to those waves, they are sending you a message.

During the night, Mother Nature began unleashing on Sandestin what had already occurred further west.  Lots of flash flooding forecasted for the whole day.  Bummer....

But, never fear, there is always Plan B!  For us, it was Condo cleanup early, then a reward of brunch at "Another Broken Egg".  OMG!  If you have never experienced breakfast there, please put it on your list.  And do try something out of your comfort zone.  It is out of this world!

As we departed the restaurant, full to the gills, we stepped outside.  Our dreary day was brightened by the sight of the Saintsations, the cheerleaders for the New Orleans Saints.  I mentioned to one that they looked a lot bigger on TV.  The one listening looked at me and said, " Ha! Yes, but as you can see, I'm right at six feet tall!". Glad she was wearing flats!  Most looked like the pretty little girl next door.  All that stage makeup and the outfits they wear turn these little princesses into the sideline warriors you see on TV!

Brunch done, we were off to the outlet mall.  And so was everyone else!  The driving was quite slow, as all that water had no where to go.  In traffic I usually turn into a road warrior.

Working our way through the traffic, you would occasionally have to merge into the next lane because of all the standing water.  In my mirror, I see a pickup on my right, plowing through the flooded lane.  There was no way this road warrior was going to let him cut in front of me as the water deepened.  Soon he was at my rear tire.  Then he began inching closer.  I began to close the gap with the car in front of me, still at a safe distance, traveling at the brake neck speed of 20 mph.  Then all of a sudden this wall of water came crashing down on the windshield!

Holy crap!  I was unprepared!  No windshield wipers were running!  I could not see!  All I could do was apply the brakes for fear of a rearender!  I quickly turned on the wipers.  It was too late.  I had been outfoxed by Bubba from Louisiana, he was now in front of me!  Oh well, let somebody else try it, ain't gonna happen twice!  Inside I had to chuckle, but I did still have my game face on :-).

The outlet mall parking lot was no different.  Cars were jockeying for position.  Nobody was getting cut off in this lot!  Parking spaces were at a premium.  Everybody and their mother had the same Plan B.  Sidewalks were an obstacle course.  I stepped off the curb with one foot to test the traffic in an attempt to cross the street.  This mother of three in this huge Tahoe came barreling through, my foot was quickly pulled back on the curb.  The NASCAR driver in the Tahoe had spotted an empty space two rows up and she wasn't about to let someone else have that spot!

I gathered up the spousal unit, and we decided to ride west, to scout out Destin, that onetime little sleepy fishing village of thirty years ago.  We haven't been there in years since they put in the toll bridge over the bay.  Things didn't look familiar to me.  I recalled more open spaces between Sandestin and Destin.  Those open spaces were now filled with all kinds of businesses.  Some call this progress, I call it congestion!

Soon there were sights we remembered from years past!  Fudpuckers, Joe's Crab Shack.  Then the Racetrack, and finally Big Kahuna water park.  Memories of my boys at much younger ages began hitting me.

I chuckled, then reminded the spousal unit of the time that son#1 was bound and determined that he was gonna drive the gocart on the big track, at the age of 14. We debated on that, and once he had his mind made up about something, good luck at changing it.

 I had learned early in parenthood to just let it flow.  I'd leave that fight to the track managers.  The look on his face was priceless once he learned the outcome of his pursuit.  Nope, too young to drive the big carts.  The spousal unit wasn't gonna give up.  She knew that their had to be a compromise.  Yep, they had two seaters.

 I have never laughed so hard!  I took my position by the fence to wave as they went by.  Momma was in the driver's seat, being fearless as they rounded the curve.  Son#1 was in the seat next to her, with his arms folded in complete frustration!  He rode that way the whole time on the track!  It took hours for that frown of his to melt away.

When we met up with him and the girly friend, I reminded him of that day.  He half smiled, then said "don't wanta talk about it!". Still burns him!

The rain continued through the night.  The Condo complex was playing a movie in their small theater.  Why not.  It was Tom Hanks in " Saving Mr. Banks".  Boy, that one was different.

Plan B and the day came to an end.  Tomorrow is our last day here.  Forecast is scattered rain possibilities all day.  True bleachers, we are gonna give it one more try, to tease that mighty force called Mother Nature a bit more.  There is just something about having your toes in that sand!

And, already have plans for a return visit in August.  Take that! Mother Nature!

No comments: