Monday, May 11, 2015

Margarita Cure All

With it being Mother's Day Sunday, the spousal unit took advantage of the day and slept in without being disturbed.  Okay, I can handle this for one day a year.  By the time she was up and moving, I had already prepared our lunch sammaches and loaded the cooler bag with drinks and margaritas.

We arrived at the beach and the first view of the water is always breathtaking, and today was no exception.  With beach cart in hand, loaded down with umbrellas, chairs, anchors and cup spikes, I reached the sand in no time.  Once on the sand it was drag it time.

As I approached the water's edge, I noticed the chair rentals were closer to the water than they had been in past visits.  Since our arrival was later in the day, most of the spots had already been claimed.  I like a little space so I worked my way down the shore line, weaving in and out of the Beachers like driving through an obstacle course.  Finally "Land ho!"

I grabbed one of my umbrella anchors and began the process of boring it into the sand.  Then I here somebody say "hey buddy, I hate to be that guy, but I just spent a bunch of money for this view and I don't want to be looking at the backside of your head".  What the hell???

A short "discussion" began, me, then my new "friend".  I quickly decided that since this was Mother's Day, I would turn compromise and turn on some of my southern charm.  I moved over ten feet.  He continued his version of "I really hate to be that guy".  I replied "everything is fine, now just go back to your book".

He kept on with his banter. "Man, I'm like you, brought my own umbrella and chairs.  I talked to the chair rental guy about spots and he said if I wanted close to the water I needed to rent from him."  I chuckled on that one.

It was now more obvious he was pissed  at his own situation.  I reached into my cooler bag and grabbed one of my Ziparitas and walked over.  I said "man, everything is cool, just go back to reading your book, and here is a margarita for you wife".  A little more conversation, and then the look on his face was priceless.   Other beach goers had just "moved in" to the spot I had vacated!   Holding the laughter in just about killed me!

Couple of hours later the dude hollers out to me "hey buddy!  This margarita is awesome!"  Me and my Ziparitas had just made a new friend.

As they were packing up they both came over to say goodbye.   He was an Auburn guy married to a Bamer fan.  I told him "I guess you learned a lesson today,  never ask the chair rental guy about spots on the beach!"  He said " yeah, that was a $70 mistake.   It's a shame that we are leaving tomorrow because  we sure enjoyed that frozen margarita! "

The power of the Ziparita!

No comments: