Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Power of a Frat Boy

Got a cousin on the spousal unit side of the family that is a freshman in college.  The man of her dreams is also a freshmen, but he goes to a different college.  This separation by distance has pulled them closer together far more than you can imagine.

The boy friend suffered a brain bleed over spring break.   This kid's road to recovery has thus far been amazing.  The cousin has been right there with him physically, but most importantly, spiritually, along with her supportive family.  He is now over in Georgia at a specialty physical therapy facility that specializes in his type of recovery  needs.

I have only met this kid a couple of times.  I can typically figure out a person in just a few minutes of conversation and watching  body language.   I immediately recognized that this kid was a winner.  God is testing him right now, but I feel in my heart that this boy will overcome this obstacle and become even a stronger young man, just you wait and see.

I was working on one of my cooler box projects, and I immediately knew where it was going.  The medical bills for this kid are off the charts.  I've  donated coolers before for silent auction.fund raisers.  The results have always been disappointing.   This time the results have to be different.

I suggested that the cooler box be raffled off.  100 tickets at $5 would bring in a nice tidy sum of $500.  This would be more that triple the usual amount raised.  But how???

Leave it up to the girl friend!  She contacted the Fraternity that her boyfriend was a member of.  The challenge was accepted by one of these "Frat Boys".  In a days he put together the raffle, spread the word by mouth and social media.   All this was done in a week, with the winner's name being drawn on Saturday.

The results were unbelievable!   The number of tickets sold were more that double my original estimate.  What was mouth dropping was the response from the donors.  Money was donated over and above the price of the raffle ticket, more than doubling the proceeds!  Wow!  God had to have had a hand in this, no doubt in my mind!

You never know where you faith will take you like my cousin's faith and love for this young man, and the friendship bond between fraternity brother.  I now have a new found respect for a group of young men that I have not yet met.

Never underestimate the power of a "Frat Boy".  These fellas are "Ole Miss"!

No comments: