Sunday, December 15, 2013

Christmas cookies

Most families have holiday treats that they cook every year.  Back when the boys were little, I would make gingerbread men for them to take for the class party.  At home, we would also spend time together baking and decorating sugar cookies.  As boys got older, they lost interest in these kinda things. However, They have not lost there appetite for eating them.
 
For years I have used the recipe from Crisco.  The butter flavored Crisco seems to work best in cookie baking.  When making sugar cookies with cutters I  also leave out the salt and baking soda so that the cookies keep the shape of the cutter.  This gives them a tea cake consistency.  Lately I have been substituting raspberry syrup for the vanilla flavoring.
 
When it comes to the icing, I use the old tried and true royal icing:  powdered sugar, a little milk, food coloring, and more of the raspberry syrup.   Not much on adding any other decorations.  Kids eat way too many candy sprinkles as it is.
 
Here are some pictures of the process with the final product, iced sugar cookies.  From my kitchen to yours, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness
 

Lay out cutters to maximize the use of the dough

Place cookies on cookie sheet allowing room for expansion
 
I used royal icing
 
 
Dogs waiting for one to drop

No comments: