Sunday, December 8, 2013

Things I Miss

Driving back from Memphis today, I got to thinking about things I miss, both food and other things:

1.  The Pig Stand, Belzoni, Ms.  Mr. Earl and his chopping block.

2.  Midnight madness celebrations in downtown Belzoni broadcast by Mr. Herb on WELZ.

3.  The black waiters at the Rendezvous asking what beer will ya have?  Sorry, we only serve Michelob!

4.  Steel pointed Jarts.  Yard darts deemed too dangerous because of some ole fool running under them.

5.  Gas costing less than $1.00

6.  Sunday blue laws.  Sorry, life needs to slow down a bit.

7.  Corky's BBQ nachos at Vaught Hemingway.  Sorry, no invitations!

8.  Something made in America.

9.  Sarge's in Starkville.  Hamburger steak smothered in gravy with onions.  I think that's the only thing he knew how to cook!

10.  Little Tokoyo with "momasan" running the place.

11.  Gatherings at the Inverness cemetery for some late night beer drinking.

12.  Small town Chinaman stores.  You could find just about anything in there.

13.  Grandma's Weems' Cooking.  She worked at the school cafeteria and I would have a pbj waiting on me on vegetable soup day.

14.  Sonic fried steak sammach.

15.  Making gingerbread men for the boys to take to school.

I guess some things are just best left to be remembered.  New places to explore, and one day there will be grandkids and I get to revisit some things for a second time :-)

No comments: