Sunday, December 8, 2013

Old Dog, New Tricks

There is an old saying, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Well, that doesn't apply to my dear ole Dad!

I can remember growing up and my Pop sending us up on the roof to adjust the TV antenna after a big wind storm so he could watch his "Mid South Championship Wrestling"!  Then along came cable TV and he said "why would I need cable, you can only watch one channel at a time!". He now has cable.

After he slowed down and semi-retired at the age of 70, he tells me he needs a computer.  I ask why.  Answer:  "so I can do the internet and check email.". I ask "do you have an email address?".  Answer:  "no, but I'll get one.". Got him fixed up and the next day he found EBay.  O M G!  I think everybody on his email list gets a handful of "forwards" each day!

This man, who only wrote one check a year his whole lifetime , pays his bills electronicly, canceled his paper and reads the obituaries on line, and can tell you what new movies are coming out at which theater and at what time.

A few years ago, the Delta was hit by a massive ice storm at Christmas time.  No electricity in the Town of Inverness.  To me, one of the best Christmas's ever.  Nobody complained, just dealt with it the best you could.  Next thing you know, ole Pop has his house wired to switch over to generator power!

The man has a cell phone.  He would only have it on while he was in the car.  Now, its his daily companion.  You call it, he answers, then says "hold on, talk to your momma".

I cannot imagine what will happen when he discovers the new features of smart phones.  Look out world!

Thank you Pops for all the life lessons I've picked up from you.   Like you, I'm a doer.  Like you, I cook for others.  Like you, I'd give some the shirt off my back if they needed it.

Pop, Unlike you, I have a smart phone!  Love ya Man!

No comments: