Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Gift of Wine

Wine.  It comes in red and it comes in white.  The stuff is bottled all over the world and some how makes its way to you and me.  Some comes very dry, while some comes very sweet.  You can buy it by the glass, by the bottle and even by the box.  It comes with a screw top, others with a choice of corks.  For some reason, white is served chilled, and reds come to the table at room temperature.

I have several friends that are regular consumers of this fine beverage.  Some, on blood thinners, become quite talkative after a few glasses.  Some drink just the cheap stuff, and get similar results.  Others are true connoisseurs of wine and they take pride in knowing the vineyards, and the good years and bad.  They can sniff the cork, smell the glass, and with a small taste, can tell whether that bottle is naughty or nice.  I usually wait for the "all clear" and drink away.

Once you have consumed the contents, what do you do with the empty bottle and the cork.  Some just throw it all away.  Some like me, put the empty bottle on their bottle tree. Corks either end up in the trash, in a bowl, or heaven knows where once it hits the junk drawer.

A friend of mine, Scotty Davidson, has started a business using empty bottles of all kinds.  You can find him at most of the arts and craft shows displaying his wares under the banner of Wyne Chyme.  Here are some of the things he has come up with.
bird feeder


 






 
Recently I saw a Christmas wreath on Facebook made of wine corks.  I studied it and figured out, that "I can do that".  I posted a picture of it on Facebook, and put out a notice to my buddies for any corks that they could spare.  Well, wouldn't you know it, by buddy Ed, replied "come and get'em"! 
 
 
I get over to Ed's house, expecting a good supply, since Ed is one of those dedicated Catholic wine drinkers.  I now see where the expression "they're a good Catholic family".  Obviously this is where all those children come from.  Good kids from the finer vintages, and the not so good kids from the screw top varieties.  Ed's wife goes into the laundry room and comes out with a sack, then another, then another!  Before long this shopping bag was full!
 
 
 
 
Once I got home, I scanned the directions, then went in pursuit of the necessary supplies.  I got two 18 inch straw wreaths for the base, about 100 glue sticks, and an assortment of greenery items from Michaels, now 70% off.
 
 
Directions said the straw wreaths would make a mess, and boy did they!  It didn't take long before I had the first one covered.  By the end, I had used up the majority of the corks.  Once you pick one of the up, you see by the weight where they all went!


.

Well, I'm now out of everything.  Friends are re-stocking me with corks, and soon I will back at the craft store for more supplies.

If I can do this, you can too.  If you get a little more industrious, take on some bottle art.  And, you will be recycling too!

No comments: