Saturday, December 28, 2013

Lost Art

Hoping that this one is not a lost art, the courtesy of saying "thank you".

We have some dear friends whose children were married a year and a half ago.  Funny thing is, neither have written a single "thank you" note for any or the wedding gifts that each received.  Writing thank you notes is a courtesy that you are taught, and practice typically starts big time when you graduate from high school.  These kids are now starting families of their own.  Hopefully, they will pick up this tradition upon the arrival of their babies and then pass it on to their generation.

I know it is always better to give than receive.  I picked back up a hobby of mine last winter that I had stopped years ago.  I decided it was time to give the nieces and nephews something special from me.  I began making a dozen cross stitched Christmas ornaments for each of them.  They were distributed to some of them during the Thanksgiving Holiday.  Others got them on Christmas day.  My hope was that each would make them a part of their holiday tree trimming tradition, something to remember me by.

To my surprise, our of nine nieces and nephews, only one took a moment to say "thank you".  Yes, a feeling or two got bruised.  For a little while, I forgot that it is "better to give than to receive".  I have resigned to the fact that it is a practice that is taught.  I have been pondering whether to continue making these as gifts.  Time heals all.  Probably will make more, just be selective on the recipients.

No comments: