Sunday, September 6, 2015

New Tailgating Tip

We were leaving for the migration to Oxford a day early and I was in a tizzy.  With the temperature anticipated just under unbearable, I planned to take my world famous Ziparitas as a soothing treat for a hot muggy football Saturday.  After all, they were fantastic all summer at the beach!

The trick would be figuring out how to keep them frozen until tailgate time.  At the beach its a no brainer.  Make them up the night before and stick them in the freezer.  They would be frozen solid the next day, and can be used as ice blocks instead of using the real thing.  More space for adult beverages and other cool treats.  But, we were spending the night in a hotel, with no refrigerator, much less a freezer.  What is a tailgating professional to do?  Ice won't work, takes up too much space and it melts, which will speed up the thawing process during the day and night.

I spent several days pondering this predicament.  Then it hits me!  Dry ice is the answer!  Off I go to the local Kroger.  Nope, try the one in Pearl.  Manager says, "Dude, no Kroger in the metro area carries it anymore.  Go to the Jackson ice plant."  I google it, ok, I'm in Pearl, and its on Jefferson Street, only 4-5 miles away!

I take Old Brandon road and cross over the Pearl River bridge and turn left.  On the right is WLBT, with the FOX40 logo on the end of the building.  A few yards further is my destination.  The plant has a convenience store front, so inside I go.  I quickly realize that this is an Indian establishment.  Scarf covered women at the ready to take your order.

I ask the lady behind the counter "I'm looking for Dry ice." She nods her head in a positive fashion, but no words. I ask "do you have dry ice?" Again, I get the positive nod, but no words. I begin looking around, and suddenly she says in her broken Indian English "u want 5 lb or 10 lb, $1.25 a pound?"

I go hum..... "Let's start with 5 pounds". She goes over to a huge plastic bin, opens it, and begins scooping up frozen pellets. Five pounds are weighed, I then double it to ten pounds. She says "10 pounds, still $1.25 a pound!"

The dry ice was scooped up and put into a paper sack like peanuts. I pay and ask how long the dry ice will last. She replied "30 hour, but u put into cooler. No cooler, no last 30 hour!"  I transferred the dry ice into gallon freezer bags, avoiding any freezer burn in the process.  Dry ice is now in the cooler, on top of the still frozen margaritas. The clock is running on.my 30 hour!

We have left the hotel and have stopped at the store for a bag of ice and bottled water to go with the Ziparitas.  I lifted the lid of the cooler and discover that the dry ice is all but gone.  I pick up a Rita and to my delight it and all of the others are frozen solid like a rock.  YES!  now off to tailgating!

The Dry Ice worked like a charm.  the cold from the ice transferred itself to the Ziparitas as the gas melted and looked for a place to go.  While the dry ice itself did not last the suggested 30 hours, the coldness from it did!  Ritas in the bottom of the cooler were still frozen around 6 p.m., about 30 hours after the dry ice was applied.

Dry Ice is officially in my bag of tricks.  Can't wait to do it again this coming weekend in Starkvegas!

No comments: