Monday, September 28, 2015

Number 300!

Yep!  This this is blog post number 300.  Kinda ironic that I'm making this milestone post on today, September 28th!  My special day of the year, and I'm  sharing it with you!  This is number 59!

I worked for over 35 years before one day I was told "this isn't working, so I'm eliminating your position."  It wasn't because I wasn't doing my job. I was good at what I did.  After 30 years you know your stuff inside and out.  That  was 3.5 years ago.  I haven't looked back since!

I attended countless training sessions through all of those years and I learned that I truly had something missing in my life.  I had worked to live, to take care of my wonderful wife and raise two boys.  There was no time to refine a hobby, since we had a mortgage to pay for and college educations to save for, and hopefully enough to be able to take a nice vacation every year.

I had devoted my life the those three most important people in my life.  Supporting Lanelle in her career was number one.  Following Matthew through high school band activities was number two.  Making sure that Morgan had everything he needed to succeed playing select soccer was number three.

It seemed I never took time for me.  This has never been an issue with me because I was always busy making time for the other three.  Buy still, through the years I knew something was missing.

Around my 53rd birthday I was in yet another one of those work related self help seminars.  The question of the day was "what are your personal  goals?"  Gee, I'd never had any, since I was all caught up in my other three priorities.  LaNelle was now settled in her latest career move.  The boys were almost done with with high school and wrapping up college.

I took some time to look deep into myself, trying to discover what my personal goals should be?  This was very difficult for me because it was always about "we"!

Then it hits me.  It has been there all along, but I had just been far too busy to see it.  The vision for my personal goals was now crystal clear:  "bring a little happiness into somebody else's life each and every day!"  This is pretty simplistic,  so obvious, but it was the real me, and it has been there all the time right under my nose!

I knew there were issues with my boss, and I had worried myself sick about it for several years.  After I had my revelation, these issues didn't  matter anymore.  Do your job, do it well, and the rest will take care of itself.

During the fall of 2011, I had resolved to myself that the job could no longer rule me.  I must take over.  I continued to perform my duties to the best of my abilites.  Unfortunately this was not good enough for the man in charge.  I decided it was time.   As soon as I wrapped up the current year end, I would begin my search for new employment.  Then, on February 17th at 4:25 in the afternoon, I was informed that that was my last day.

The first few minutes I was in shock, but then the true reality began to set in, I was now FREE!  I was handed and envelope and told to leave.  I did, and I haven't looked back!

Today is my 59th birthday and I'm  here to celebrate it with family and friends like you!  Facebook and this blog have been two of my outlets for reaching my personal goal of bringing a little bit of happiness to someone every day.  I hope that I have succeeded and brought you a little sunshine your way.  It sure beats carrying that dark cloud around that never seem to disappear.

So this post 300.  Now you know why i take the time to write these postings of mine.  Now you know why i spend so much time of FB.  It is my hope that I have occasionally succeeded in my goal.  This is a wonderful day that God has made.  Get out there and enjoy it.  It's on me!

No comments: