Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Blowfly Inn

After watching one of Walt Grayson's Mississippi Roads episodes about the Gulf Coast on ETV last week, I had the Blowfly Inn on my mind for days.  My opportunity came Monday when I went on a coastal run with the Spousal Unit.  She had two meetings, one in Biloxi and one if Gulfport.  I'm the chauffer and she works on her laptop using her fancy internet box.

The Blowfly Inn is one of the few restaurants that still serve flounder.  Not sure what the deal is.  This fish is a bottom dweller, is somewhat thin, with a considerable amount of bones.  The fish has a mild taste, that once it is cooked right, is this fish lover's delight.  Some restaurants do serve it, but it is usually filets deep fried.  My preference is either stuffed or broiled.

Ole Walt's show featured the stuffed flounder.  Gotta admit, it made my mouth water. Once I get something into my head, especially food, there is no stopping me until I get a taste!  We went to the Blowfly early in hopes of missing the crowds.





The parking lot was the first indication that our wait time would be short.  Up the ramp we went, and onto the porch deck.  There was a couple dining outside, since the temperatures were lower than normal for a late July afternoon. Noticed a couple of new signs had been posted, warning folks not to feed the local gator population.  Sign said big fine and possible jail time..... Inside, the restaurant was only half full, yes!  Time for flounder!

Got the usual questions, drink order, appetizer order, and or are you ready to really order?  The Spousal Unit got the half and half, part shrimp, and part oyster, all deep fried.  I asked for the stuffed flounder.  Waitress looked at me all sad face, paused, then hit me with "I'm sorry sir, but we just sold the last one".  WHAT?????  It wasn't even 7:00 yet, only 6:50 for God sakes!!!!

Turns out, that the seafood truck comes on Tuesday and Friday.  This was Monday.  There were softball and baseball tournaments this past weekend, and the specialty of the house was in hot demand.  So, no stuffed flounder for this ole boy that drove 3.5 hours to get it!

I took a deep breath, made a big sigh, then began to relook at the menu, one more time.  The waitress quickly spoke up.  "Now, if you want, I can get you a broiled flounder with our crab cakes on the side.  Its the same crab meat stuffing that goes into the flounder".  Ok, I'm good with that, sounded like one heck of a plan B!

The Spousal Unit's food was fried to perfection, with a baked tater on the side.  She likes her oysters small, and coated with cornmeal and these were made to her order!  My plate was a slice of heaven, flounder broiled to perfection, and an appetizer plate of crabcakes and a baked tater on the side!

The flounder was scored in a diamond pattern to insure even cooking.  Not sure what it was basted in, but I'm sure it had plenty of butter and lemon juice in the sauce.  The thing about eating a flounder it to remember to "flip it" when you finish the top side.  While not real pretty, the bottom side is just as tasty!  Here is a pic:



The manager came by to check on me, since her heard how badly I was wanting that stuffed flounder.  My stomach was full and she could tell I was happy from the look on my face.  The combination was a little more than the stuffed version, but to be honest, I just might start eating it that way from now on!

Had a nice chat with the manager.  Of course, food was the topic.  We both thought it was weird that more restaurants don't serve broiled or stuffed flounder.  Occasionally she has diners that suggest that they filet and fry it, like at other places.  She grinned and said, "they just don't realize how much of the menu specialties are sold!  She says they try to anticipate how big each weekend will be when they order their fish, but they tend to sell out of the flounder no matter how much they buy.  I know why!

We also talked about their shrimp dishes.  She said the right way to do shrimp is with head on.  Boil in hot water until done, then hit them with ice to stop the cooking process.  They would pull the heads and leave the tails on for presentation.  They had so many requests for "tails off" that they have gone to that, and also use a smaller size shrimp so that more are served on a plate.  Omg, I could have talked food with her for hours!

We mentioned that we would probably be back by in a few weeks, since we were headed to the beach again now that the "off season" was almost upon us.  She said that's when their off season begins too!  She asked us to suggest to our friends that they come by too, they like the company.

We finished our meal off with a slice of one of my favorite desserts, carrot cake, and our dinner was done.   You can't go wrong with the Blowfly Inn, during any season of the year.  If you've never been there, give them a try!

No comments: