Sunday, July 20, 2014

Take me to the Zoo!

One of my bucket list items has always included a trip to the San Diego Zoo.  My opportunity came this week when the Spousal Unit brought me along on a business trip.

I'm not much on doing anything solo, but with the spousal unit in conferences for most of the trip, I'm on my own.  If there is one thing to bring plenty of, its money, money, money!  Got a cranberry scone, cinnamon swirl roll and cranberry juice for $10, which was a whole lot less than the $24 breakfast buffet.

I had planned to go to both the Zoo and the Animal Safari, until I found out that the taxi fare each way was a minimum of $90.  Since I decided to narrow it down to one place, the $20 taxi ride to the Zoo won out!

I don't do taxi rides much, but here it is pretty much a necessity.  Some of the cabbies are full of good information, while others are just full of it!  The taxi ride was a short one, taking me thru some interesting parts of the city.  San Diego is a very urban city, with lots of inhabitants living in fancy, expensive condos and others living on the streets below.

We passed through Balboa Park on the way to the zoo.  I noticed what looked like a "tent city" and one cabbie said that was exactly what it was.  Accommodations have been set up in the park to see to the homeless, with lots of consideration to military veterans that have lost their way.

Soon as we made the turn, I knew we had arrived.  The parking lot was already full of cars.  The entrance was packed with families, young and old, pushing strollers and wheel chairs.

The money changers greeted you at the gate.  A fee for admission ($46), a fee for the 4D movie, fee for the locker, stroller or wheel chair if you needed one and also the electric scooter.

The zoo is built on hilly terrain, so not all exhibits are accessible by the handicapped.  Your price of admission included a guides tour bus trip thru 70% of the park.  This ride gives you a great first look at the zoo before you begin your trek by foot.  There are also bus pickup stations throughout the park if your feet can't take it anymore.  Also, a gondola ride will take you to opposite ends of the park.

Midway thru my visit, I stopped to get some lunch.  A wrap, fries and water were only $21.  Taking time out for food breaks can be a relaxing time.  You can sit back, enjoy your food, and take in a
All of the animal calls you can hear in the background, sounds like babies crying, kids screaming, and other languages being spoked at every other table.  I looked up, after hearing one infant in particular that was screaming his little head off!  Before I could guess which end was the problem, that momma had whipped out her feeding station, and before you knew it, that baby was in milk heaven.  Tried posting a pic on FB, but it must have fit a certain profile, and it would not up date anything.  Oh well, I think you have a mental picture!

The Zoo more than met my expectations.  The exhibits were well designed and maintained.  I was surprised by how much vertical space was used.  It was as if we were the ones being put on exhibit!

$20 more and i was back at the hotel.  $9 later I was sitting back writing this blog post with a snicker bar and a diet Pepsi.  Time to rest up a bit, before the spousal unit gets here and wants to do something fun.  (My poor tired aching feet!)

Tomorrow I tackle the USS Midway and hopefully that truck food that I missed on Friday.

Still having the time of my  life.  Glad I'm able to share some of it with you thru these blog posts!  God bless!

No comments: