Saturday, July 26, 2014

This Retirement Thang

Well, its been two plus years since I got the news that I was retired.  Sure doesn't seem that long ago.

You spend a life time thinking about it.  You day dream about it.  Then suddenly its your turn.  You think, ok, I can handle this.  How hard can it be?  Well, there are a few adjustments that you have to make.

Spending.  Unless you have an unlimited source of funds, spending implodes.  At first, you think its no big deal.  You payoff what you can, and continue to live your current life style.  Then, at the end of the month, you realize, hey, no more paycheck.  Whoops, time to cut back.  Clearance sale shopping was a hobby, now its full time.

Friends.  Remember all of those work friends you have/had.  Doesn't take long for contact with them to evaporate.  Most were overnight.  The really close ones are the dearest, with you to the end and beyond.  Some days you wonder, will it ever get to 5:00?  Time for the working people to come home and play!

Hobbies.  If you don't have one, get one.  They certainly help make the time pass by.  Me, I'm into bucket gardening, canning, and of course cooking.  A spring break project with son#2 has turned into a cottage industry.  I have lost count on the number of ice chest cooler boxes I have made.  Just finished two, and starting on another.  Baking doggies treats, cheese straws, and cookies for resale have also become part of my resume.

Job Hunt.  Did it for two years, as part of the weekly unemployment routine.  After applying for over 200 jobs, I had two interviews.  You know the drill:  overqualified, over paid, and over age.  Face it, the younger bucks have the inside track, as they can handle standing on their feet all day, work for lower pay, and grew up already knowing the in's and out's of paperless ecommerce.  Get to travel with the spousal unit a good bit, driving her on her appointed rounds while she is in the other seat working on her computer as we pass from one cell tower to the next. 

A job!  finally found some 1099 contract work.  Get to be my own boss, and work when I want.  Makes traveling with the spousal unit a whole lot less complicated.  I work in several movie theaters putting the cardboard standees together.  Some are a bit challenging!  Also doing assembly work at Home Depot and other stores.  I just thought I knew how to put things together!


Volunteer:  make good use of your time.  sitting in your chair or laying on the couch ain't gonna cut it.  I volunteer and work at Stewpot Food Pantry through my church.  I was driving the church bus on Wednesdays picking up the animals for choir practice.  The part time jobs have taken over that free time.

Vacations.  Yep, everyone needs a vaca, even retired people.  We bought into a couple of timeshare units.  Learned how they worked, then bought more days on the "after market".  Spousal unit loves the beach, so now, if we work it just right, she has up to four weeks in her (and mine) spot in the sand!

Insurance.  What a sticker shock that was.  Under COBRA my family coverage was gonna be $1750 per month.  And my term group life insurance that was $250 per month, was gonna be another $1750 per month once it was converted to the only option, a whole life policy.  Thankfully the spousal unit had coverage at her employer.  Never had to fool with Obummer care.

College tuition:  Got one out of school, and one that just started, now a junior.  Fortunately, with his scholarships and the money we saved for it, all is covered.

Got birthday number 58 coming up in September.  You can begin drawing funds out of an IRA without penalty at 59.5.  Hopefully my funds will last til then.  I think I can, I think I can, Hell, I know I can!

Advice to Others:  Sorry, some things you have to figure out on your own, just like me.

No comments: