Sunday, July 28, 2013

Best Laid Plans

 

Today was supposed to be a nice relaxing drive over to Atlanta to prepare for the arrival of the Grandbaby Nephew.  So much for how the day was "supposed" to unfold.

Around 6 this morning the phone begins to ring off the wall.  Exciting news!  The Grandbaby Nephew had done broke the dam, and the flood waters went a gushing.  The baby momma and daddy were on the way to the hospital.  Let the convoy begin!

The shortcut to Interstate 20 is  State highway 471.  I have never seen so much critter road kill on one stretch of road in my life.  On some of it you could see the steam coming out of it.  Shame I didn't have one of my big cooler ice chests with me.  Supper would have been some fine eating with all the coons, possums and other critters in the slaughter!

We were careful not to burn up the highway too bad.  As we flowed through Alabama the highway patrol officers were in full force in nothing but unmarked cars. There are still a lot of stretches of I20 under construction, and those fines are mighty steep!

Passed through Birmingham.  You would think that a restaurant like the Cheesecake Factory would have a drive through window, but no........!  A little bit further down the road, We took a little lunch break, then switched drivers.  That didn't last long.

 The phone calls and the text messages were beginning to roll in.  The spousal unit can barely see over the steering wheel, and now she is reading text messages, sending text messages, taking phone calls, steering, and giving me the evil eye.  Right then and there, I thought I was gonna die!  Got us a Grandbaby Nephew, 8 lbs 2 oz.'s

The first car in the convoy got in town to take charge of the Grandbaby Niece.  I dropped the spousal unit off at the hospital for her to "strut her stuff", after all, nursing is her bread and butter.  I then went to the baby Momma & Daddy's house to drop off a picnic table for Grandbaby Niece, and one of my cooler chests for a neighbor.  I had the rack on the back of the car for the cooler chest.  I pulled up to the drive and went "rut-roh":


That sucker is a whole lot steeper than it looks.  Backed up this bad boy, and was not sure the car had it in it.  I'm tempted to tie a rope on the Grandbaby Niece's car and let her fly.  She just might make it to the Alabama State Line.

You can see she already has it loaded with snacks for a read trip to Mississippi!

A southern girl has got to have her Twinkies, Moon Pies and RC cola!

On the way back to the hotel, Grand Pop Mr. "Hot" offered to buy a round of milk shakes from Chic- fil-a.  I introduced him the their chocolate shake our last visit to Atlanta.  Had to break the news to him that they ain't open on Sunday. Never fear, we are also in Steak & Shake country!

I pulled up, placed an order for a chocolate shake and a butterfinger shake.  While pulling up to the pay window, I  noticed a sign on the wall that said "don't forget the Heinz". So, being me, I asked about the Heinz!  They handed me our order and off to the hotel we went.  One bite and whoops!  Somehow we ended up with the butterfinger and orange sherbet. Now you know what happens when you mix chocolate and ketchup!  We sure got a laugh outta that one!

1 comment:

Donna Collins said...

Congrats on the Grandbaby Nephew, and that you got their in one piece!