Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Highlights from Atlanta



Shopping: 
With so little to do, while the spousal unit is hospital room sitting, I ventured out to the Lenox Mall.  We have always found a bargain or two there, and today was no exception.  I found theses Tervis 16 oz. glasses for $5.49, regular $18 at Macy's.  My friend Susan K. will be pleased.


I left Macy's in search of more bargains.  As I was walking through the mall,  something caught my eye.  This elderly woman was sitting on a bench, watching time pass her by, and only God knows what else....  Mere words cannot adequately describe the burning sensation that was put upon me from this photo:
 
 
Once I got over this sighting, my eyes were better able to focus in on the search for something else. Casual browsing came up with nothing.  I then spotted the Brookstone Store. Back home,
my Brookstone clock that shines a red light on the ceiling with the time and temperature was on its last leg. Just bought a replacement that shines a "blue light" instead. Hoping I don't get paranoid with blue and think the "popo" is coming to arrest me for indecent exposure!
 
TimeSmart  Self Setting Projection Clock
 
Needing a break, I spotted the Mall sign pointing out the public restroom, down by Neiuman Marcus.  This particular facility was some what small, having only on urinal, and two toilets.  One stall was already occupied, so I took the other.  I usually go for the handicapper crapper, but there wasn't one in this unit.  I'm now at that point where its time to sign some papers, but oh boy, no paper to do my homework on, no seat covers, and the guy in the next stall has on some of those funny looking shoes, and is making weird noises. What to do, what to do???  Finally decided to do the hit and run.  I squeezed my butt cheeks together, hit the door, and ran to Macy's to finish what Mother Nature had started!
 
Collection Box:
I pulled up to a gas station to fill up the tank, and noticed a clothing collection box:
This sucker is for a "for profit" Company.  Only in a city like Atlanta, will you find this kinda thing.  There is no tax deduction for items placed in this box and the items donated are sold for a profit!
 
Ikea:
Yesterday I went to Ikea to find some chairs for my friend Jessica G, who lives in Tampa.  The Orlando Ikea had a back order on the chairs she wanted, so what the heck, I've got the time.  Got there early,  So I had to endure the smell of those dang cinnamon rolls baking.  You can smell them when you come in, and they are at the exit, just enticing you to come get some.  My resistance was strong on this particular day.
 
I had a picture of the chair on my smartass phone and also the model number.  Not wanting to send a lot of time searching, I approached several Ikea employees for help. One of them, a black girl, offered to look for the chair in their computer system.  She commented to me on how much she liked my outfit.  On this day, I had on shorts, Hawaiian shirt, and of course, my flip flops.  She giggled and said that I looked like her Dad!  I asked, "was he white"?  We both got s big laugh outta that one.  At least she was a Georgia bulldog!
 
Lumber Yard:
A buddy of mine messaged me, as we were driving to Atlanta, that he wanted a cooler box, but built out of cypress rather than the treated pine that I have been using.  I found a lumber yard over here that stocks all kinds of wood products, but especially cedar and cypress.  Only 20 minute ride, so what the heck.  Placed my order, and as I suspected, it was quite pricey, but a whole warehouse full.  Told them where I was from, and what I was doing with the wood, and almost had two more sold on the spot.  Shoulda brought my cordless drill and table saw with me, dadgum it!  Turns out, one of the salepeople has a daughter that will be attending Ole Miss in the fall.  Traded some small talk and invited him to tailgate with us this fall.  You never how small the world really is.
 
Got the wood all loaded up, then called the spousal unit.  Her first questions were: expensive? and did it fit.  Kiddingly, I told her she was gonna have to either ride on top of the car or on the rack on the back.  Never fear, I will always make room for that woman!
 
Tilted Kilt:
This establishment was right around the corner from the hotel, so we figured, what the heck.  The first "here's your sign" was that women were out numbered 20 to one in this place.  Second sign was the gal tending bar.  Don't seem to remember much else after that.  Seems that they are known for women wearing kilts that are a wee bit on the short side.  That wasn't the only thing coming up short, as you can see from this picture:
 
The biggest problem I had was figuring out how to tip these ladies.  I finally decided on cup size!  (joke!).
 
Mother-in-law:
 
Love that woman to death.  She is always doing something to bring a smile to may face.  I had just married her daughter, when she told me her Tarzan-Jane joke.  I haven't looked at that woman with a serious look on my face since, and that has been over 30 years!  (Get her to tell it to you!)
 
It's been quite a challenge to get her to answer her cell phone.  The ringer is turned up as loud as it will go, but we are having to call the room for paw-in-law to pick up.  Some days these parents are as challenging as our children.  Whoops, did I just say that?????
 


No comments: