Friday, July 12, 2013

Road Sign

On our road trip to Nashville, past Corinth, and saw the exit for Shiloh Military Park. Years ago, growing up in the Delta in a town called Belzoni, there was not a whole lot to do.  Eventually the Boy Scouts of America caught my interest.  The scout leaders were Mr. Howell and Mr. Lister.  These men spent their time with their boys by teaching them and others like me life lessons by being the leaders of the local scout troop.  Mr. Howell was kind of like a father figure to me, as mine was busy trying to scratch a living out of dirt, doing something called farming.  Summers were spent playing little league baseball and going to scout camp for a week at Camp Tallaha and treks to the Shiloh Military Park for  camping and trail hiking. I spent many a summer on the same trail as the leader of each crop of first year scouts. Every year I would ask Mr. Howell "is this the year I graduate to another trail"? He would just smile. Hope those young buck scouts treasure their time with that man like I did.  Seeing that road sign made my Fourth of July special!

No comments: