Sunday, July 14, 2013

Social Security Stew

Couple of winter seasons ago, I made the trek up to the Delta to help my Pop with one of his annual cookin's of his Brunswick stew. 

Everything comes out of the freezer for this event.  Maters from last summer, Cream corn from last year's corn patch, and whatever "meat" is available.  I've seen turkeys, chicken meat, pork shoulders, deer meat, a rabbit or two, and even hog heads.

He and a sous chef had gotten a head start the day before, so all that was left when I got there was the jarring and the delivery.  The stew goes into pint and quart jars that they have accumulated throughout the year.  My Mom ain't no clutter bug, but when it comes to stuff used in the kitchen, nuthin' goes into the trash until it has been used at least twice and plum wore out!

 Momma got out the delivery list from last year and off we went. This cookin' goes to the local folks that are shut ins and those getting by on social security.  Pop would direct me to which house to go to, then he would get out, open the back door to the car, look at that list and decide whether he delivered a pint or a quart.  After a few deliveries, I figured out how to speed this process up. I grabbed a pint jar and a quart and set them in the front seat cup holders.  Pop got back in the car, saw that, smiled, and said "that'll work".  (Man of few words.)

I got to wondering about that list from last year.  I took a look, and noticed either one star, or two stars by each name.  Asked a Pop about it.  Hee, Hee.  You start off with a pint, and depending on your how well you like it, you might work your way up to a quart!

Gotta love that social security stew!